How do I determine Force or time from an impact?

In summary, the loader is dumping rock onto a proposed screening rack to separate stone sizes. The typical load is estimated at 4100kg and falls about 1m above the screen. The velocity at impact works out to about 4.4m/s just before impact (determined by SQRT(2 x 9.81m/s^2 x Height of fall). From this my impulse works out to (mass x change in velocity) 18,040 kg-m/s. How do I determine the Impact Force? I don't know the deflection, or the change in time to bring the load to rest - these are both unkown. Any pointers?
crank
Here's my situation...

I have a loader dumping rock onto a proposed screening rack to separate stone sizes.
The typical load is estimated at 4100kg and falls about 1m above the screen.

My velocity at impact works out to about 4.4m/s just before impact (determined by SQRT(2 x 9.81m/s^2 x Height of fall).

From this my impulse works out to (mass x change in velocity) 18,040 kg-m/s

How do I determine the Impact Force? I don't know the deflection, or the change in time to bring the load to rest - these are both unkown.

Any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is a practical problem and you need an estimate I would make a reasonable guess for the time of the collision... 0.1 sec,? 0.5sec? 1sec?
Then force = impulse/time

It is a practical problem that I'm trying to solve.

I thought that there was a way to integrate something (impulse or momentum?) to determine the time. It's been years since I've done this sort of calculation and it has escaped me.

Are you sure that it can't be done without estimating a time?

No, you will need to estimate the time since it depends on the elastic properties of the screen and the rocks, the taughtness of the screen, how the rocks interact with each other once they hit the screen etc...

Huh... then there's no real point of trying to calculate it - is there?

For every tenth, hundredth, thousandth, etc... of a second that I'm off - it significantly affects the resulting Force by the inverse magnitude - which becomes quite large.

While you do need to make a time estimate, you might be able to determine some reasonable bounds...

I think another real issue, even more difficult, is that all the rock (pieces) does not hit the screen at the same time...nor does it likely hit in a uniform pattern...so in practical terms you don't know the impulse either...

That's true... but at least the impulse can be calculated for a worst case scenario (all at once).

I might be able to perform an iterative calculation by assuming an initial structural design, then determining the deflection based on MAX yield stress, and use that deflection as the design parameter for the first problem. The idea works in my head, not sure on paper. What do you think?

1. How do I calculate the force of an impact?

To calculate the force of an impact, you will need to know the mass and velocity of the object that is impacting another object. The formula for force is force = mass x acceleration. You can determine the acceleration of the object by dividing its change in velocity by the time it took to make that change.

2. What units are used to measure force?

The standard unit of force is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to 1 kg*m/s^2. However, other units such as pound-force (lbf) and kilogram-force (kgf) are also commonly used.

3. How do I measure the time of an impact?

The time of an impact can be measured using a stopwatch or a timer. Make sure to start the timer at the moment of impact and stop it when the impact is complete. It is important to have accurate and precise timing for calculating force accurately.

4. Can I determine the force of an impact without knowing the velocity?

No, the velocity of the object is a crucial factor in determining the force of an impact. Without knowing the velocity, you will not be able to accurately calculate the force using the formula force = mass x acceleration. Therefore, it is important to measure or calculate the velocity of the object before attempting to determine the force of an impact.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of my calculations?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of your force and time calculations. These include air resistance, surface friction, and the elasticity of the objects involved in the impact. It is important to consider these factors and make any necessary adjustments to your calculations to ensure accurate results.