Integration of 1/(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate the expression \int\dfrac{dx}{(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2} and suggests using other trig identities and similar triangles to simplify the expression. It is mentioned that multiplying and dividing by sec^4(x) and substituting tan do not work. The conversation also brings up the idea of using the substitution u^2 = a^2sin^2(x) + b^2cos^2(x) and discusses the possibility of using partial fractions. The goal is to find a shorter way to solve the integral, as it is part of a larger problem.
s0ft
How do I integrate:
[itex]\int\dfrac{dx}{(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2}[/itex]
Multiplying and dividing by [itex]sec^4(x)[/itex] doesn't work, neither does substituting [itex]tan[/itex].
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use other trig identities to simplify the expression.

$$a^2\sin^2x + b^2\cos^2x = \cos^2x[a^2\sec^2x +(b^2-a^2)]\\ \qquad =a^2+(b^2-a^2)\cos^2x\\ \qquad = (a^2-b^2)\sin^2x + b^2$$

Also, consider similar triangles with the same angle x but different hypotenuses ... one has hypotenuse ##a^2## and the other ##b^2##

Can you sub ##u^2=a^2\sin^2x+b^2\cos^2x##

It's basically a matter of working through lots of things until you get a feel for the relationships.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks Simon, [itex](a^2−b^2)sin^2(x)+b^2[/itex] did help move forward but now I'm stuck at [itex]\int \dfrac{1+t^2}{(a^2t^2+b^2)^2} dt[/itex] And though I may be able to continue on from here trying this and that, isn't there a shorter way?

The actual problem from where this stemmed out was this btw:
[itex]\int_0^\pi\dfrac{x dx}{(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2}[/itex]
If it could've been solved without of all this, please tell me how.

s0ft said:
Thanks Simon, [itex](a^2−b^2)sin^2(x)+b^2[/itex] did help move forward but now I'm stuck at [itex]\int \dfrac{1+t^2}{(a^2t^2+b^2)^2} dt[/itex] And though I may be able to continue on from here trying this and that, isn't there a shorter way?
Have you tried partial fractions?

1. What is the purpose of integrating 1/(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2?

The purpose of integrating 1/(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2 is to find the area under the curve of the given function. Integration is a mathematical process that allows us to calculate the area between a curve and the x-axis by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. How is the integration of 1/(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2 useful in real life?

The integration of 1/(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2 has many practical applications in real life. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the area under force-displacement or stress-strain graphs. It is also used in economics and finance to calculate the area under demand and supply curves to determine equilibrium prices and quantities.

3. Is there a specific method or formula for integrating 1/(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2?

Yes, there are several methods for integrating 1/(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2, including trigonometric substitution, integration by parts, and partial fraction decomposition. The method used will depend on the specific form of the function and the problem at hand.

4. What are some challenges that may arise when integrating 1/(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2?

One of the main challenges in integrating 1/(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2 is dealing with its complex algebraic form. It may require multiple steps and techniques to simplify the function and make it easier to integrate. Additionally, there may be multiple solutions or special cases to consider, which could make the process more complicated.

5. How can I check if my integration of 1/(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2 is correct?

One way to check the correctness of your integration is by differentiating the result and comparing it to the original function. If the derivatives match, then your integration is likely correct. You can also use online calculators or computer software to verify your solution. Another method is to solve the problem using a different integration method and comparing the results.