How can you create a geodesic path using the metric and initial velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a small object is heading towards Earth and how to make a geodesic path using the metric and initial velocity. The metric, affinity, Riemann curvature tensor, and Ricci tensor are also mentioned. The possibility of a numerical solution is brought up, with an example of Scilab solution for the Schwarzschild metric provided. However, there may be issues with file compression.
Jack3145
Let's say there is a small object heading towards Earth (it will burn up). It is first observed at:
[tex]x^{\\mu}=[x^{1},x^{2},x^{2},x^{4}]=[x_{0},y_{0},z_{0},t_{0}][/tex]
with a velocity:
[tex]V_{v}=[v_{1},v_{2},v_{3},v_{4}][/tex]

The metric is:
[tex]ds^{2} = dx^{2} + dy^{2} + dz^{2} -c^{2}*dt^{2}[/tex]
[tex]g_{\\mu\\v} = \\left(\\begin{array}{cccc}<BR>1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\\\<BR>0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\\\<Br>0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\\\<BR>\\\\<BR>0 & 0 & 0 & 1<BR>\\end{array})\\right[/tex]

Affinity is:
[tex]\\Gamma^{\\rho}{\\mu\\v} = 0[/tex]

Riemann Curvature tensor is:
[tex]R^{\\rho}{\\mu\\v\\sigma} = 0[/tex]

Ricci Tensor is:
[tex]R{\\mu\\sigma} = 0[/tex]

My Question is how do you make a geodesic path from the metric and initial velocity?

[tex]V_{v} = x^{\\mu}*g_{\\mu\\v}[/tex] and make incremental steps?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the abomination. I know that Minkowski Space has no external gravitational forces acting on it.

You can still edit post #1. Looks like you need to remove a lot of \ symbols.

You indicated an interest in a numerical solution. I did a Scilab solution for the Schwarzschild metric. Unfortunately I compressed the file using bz2 on Linux and my present (vista) decoder has a problem. If you are interested I will have my Linux machine back up in two weeks or perhaps somebody else will separate out the parts; the mash-up is probably my fault.
I never checked the compression or enhanced the program since nobody ever responded to my scilab post.
Some orbits are shown in the eps file at:
http://www.plaidheron.com/ray/temp/
drdth_f-example.eps
Ray

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Minkowski Space with object?

Minkowski Space with object, also known as Minkowski spacetime, is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the four-dimensional spacetime continuum. It combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time into a single entity, where time is considered the fourth dimension. It was first developed by the mathematician Hermann Minkowski and is used in Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How is Minkowski Space with object different from Euclidean space?

Minkowski Space with object differs from Euclidean space in that it includes a time dimension. Euclidean space only considers the three dimensions of space, while Minkowski Space with object combines space and time into a four-dimensional continuum. This allows for the description of events in both space and time, rather than just in space.

3. What is the significance of Minkowski Space with object in physics?

Minkowski Space with object is significant in physics because it provides a framework for understanding the relationship between space and time. It is used in Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe the effects of gravity on the fabric of spacetime. It also plays a crucial role in special relativity, which explains the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

4. Can Minkowski Space with object be visualized?

No, Minkowski Space with object cannot be visualized in the traditional sense as it includes a fourth dimension of time. However, it can be represented mathematically through the use of diagrams or graphs, such as the Minkowski diagrams used in special relativity.

5. What are some real-world applications of Minkowski Space with object?

Minkowski Space with object is used in various real-world applications, including GPS technology, which relies on the principles of special relativity to accurately track time and location. It is also used in cosmology to study the structure and evolution of the universe. Additionally, the concept of spacetime plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as time travel and warp drives in science fiction.