Polyphase rectifier: Calculating the diodes needed.

In summary: More current will require more diodes. The diodes I have are rated for a voltage of 37 V and amps of 15 A. So adding 3 more phases would require at least 6 diodes with a voltage of 200 V and amps of 36A.
Simple10
Hello,

I have created a theoretical coil of
170 turns*.4871 Tesla's*.0045m^2/.06 seconds=6.21V (Faraday of course.)

ohm's of the coil=.405
6.21V/.405ohms=15.33A

The equation I used
-N * curl*B*A/curl*t
N=number of turns; B=Tesla's; A=area of the coil; t=Time; curls cancel out.
(To calculate Time I used 1000 rpm/60=16.666 rps;1 second/16.666 rps=.06 seconds)
(To calculate Tesla's I chose a magnets surface gauss, 4871 and converted to Tesla's; 10,000 gauss=1 Tesla)

Lets say I have 9 coils with 3 phases:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/4.html#03267.png
How do I calculate the Diodes I will need for the 3 Phase Rectifier? (see above link for schematic.)
If I had more phases will that change what diodes are needed? (see above link for 6 phase schematic.)
What voltage and amperage ratings for diodes?
What reverse voltage ratings for diodes?
Will the voltage drop across the diodes depend on the diodes I choose for the system?
Is a dump load nescessary if I were charging batteries and the batteries were full?

After rectification 111.78Vdc @ 46A. (This does not account for any voltage drop through the rectifier.)

Google seems to return non pertinent info about calculating for diodes.
Would Wolfram Alpha be better in this area?

P.S.

My goal is to understand the generating of Alternating Current and it's conversion to Direct Current.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
My voltage and amps out is incorrect.
For the 3 phases it's 37.26 Volts and 46 Amps

I checked mouser form the first sticky for diodes.
I know that diodes allow voltage and amps to travel in one direction and prevent it going in the opposite direction.
My Volts on one side is 18V the other side 37V. Reverse Voltage I think would be 37V.
Second, Continuous current through the diode. I have 15 Amps.
I think I need a diode that would handle <37V and at least 15A.
I found Power Diodes from 200V reverse and 16A continuous up to 1400V reverse and 16A.
Voltage drop for all of these is 1.2V per Diode.

Would the 200V, 16A be sufficient?

If I add 3 more phases for 6 phases total that would be 37V @ 92A. Is this correct?

I also noticed the higher the Tesla's the more current produced.

I can provide some insights and answers to your questions about the polyphase rectifier and calculating the diodes needed.

Firstly, the polyphase rectifier is a type of rectifier that converts AC (alternating current) to DC (direct current) using multiple phases. This allows for a smoother and more efficient conversion of the power. In your calculations, you have correctly used Faraday's law to determine the voltage generated by the coil based on its turns, magnetic field strength, and area. The resulting voltage and amperage values can be used to determine the power output of the system.

To calculate the diodes needed for the 3 phase rectifier, you will need to consider the number of phases, the voltage and amperage ratings, and the reverse voltage ratings of the diodes. For a 3 phase rectifier, you will need a total of 6 diodes, with each phase requiring 2 diodes. The voltage and amperage ratings of the diodes will depend on the voltage and amperage of your system. It is important to choose diodes with ratings that can handle the power output of your system to prevent damage. The reverse voltage rating of the diodes should be higher than the maximum voltage of your system to prevent any reverse current flow.

The voltage drop across the diodes will depend on the type and characteristics of the diodes you choose. Different diodes have different forward voltage drops, so it is important to consider this when selecting diodes for your system. A higher forward voltage drop will result in a higher power loss in the system.

A dump load may be necessary if you are charging batteries and they are already full. This is because the voltage output of your system may exceed the voltage rating of the batteries, and a dump load can help regulate the voltage and prevent damage to the batteries.

In terms of using Wolfram Alpha for calculations, it can be a useful tool for complex calculations, but it is important to have a good understanding of the principles and equations involved in order to interpret and use the results correctly.

Overall, your goal of understanding the generation and conversion of AC to DC is a complex and fascinating area of study. I would recommend further research and experimentation to deepen your understanding.

1. What is a polyphase rectifier and how does it work?

A polyphase rectifier is a type of circuit used to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). It works by using multiple diodes in a specific configuration to allow current to flow in only one direction, thus converting the AC signal to DC.

2. How do I calculate the number of diodes needed for a polyphase rectifier?

The number of diodes needed for a polyphase rectifier depends on the type of rectifier circuit being used. For a full-wave bridge rectifier, you will need four diodes. For a three-phase rectifier, you will need six diodes, and for a six-phase rectifier, you will need 12 diodes. In general, the number of diodes needed is equal to the number of phases multiplied by two.

3. What factors should be considered when choosing diodes for a polyphase rectifier?

When choosing diodes for a polyphase rectifier, it is important to consider the maximum voltage and current ratings of the diodes, as well as their switching speed and forward voltage drop. These factors will affect the overall performance and efficiency of the rectifier circuit.

4. Can I use different types of diodes in a polyphase rectifier?

Yes, different types of diodes can be used in a polyphase rectifier as long as they have similar specifications and can handle the voltage and current requirements of the circuit. However, it is recommended to use the same type of diodes for consistency and to prevent any potential issues with mismatched diodes.

5. How do I troubleshoot problems with a polyphase rectifier?

If the polyphase rectifier is not functioning properly, it could be due to issues with the diodes, such as incorrect wiring or defective diodes. It is important to check the diodes for any signs of damage or incorrect connections. Other potential issues could be related to the power supply or load, so it is important to check all components of the circuit for any possible faults.