Career Change Advice for 25-Year-Old: How to Make the Transition?

In summary, the speaker is a 25-year-old who is realizing that their current career path in finance and international business is not fulfilling. They want to transition into the field of physics and are considering pursuing a Master's degree. However, they are advised to first obtain a Bachelor's degree in physics or engineering and possibly combine it with their background in finance or an MBA for better job prospects.
RalphS
This question is for any professors out there that have a spare moment.

I'm 25 years old and finally realizing what my heart is and where it lies. I'm starting to understand what motivates and drives me, and I have to say my current career path just isn't it.

I got double major in finance and international business with a minor in economics during my undergraduate days, because back in 1997, that was the hot thing to be in. Now while that was all interesting and good, and I learned a lot about how the world works, I have to say I was a mediocre student at best. Even so, I still managed to pull a 3.15 GPA. Aside from that, my sister was influential in all the wrong ways. She is older and in finance and totally driven by money, and I figured that at the very least, I'd have a career that could provide me with decent prospects. I was a follower because I didnt know any better.

Well boy was I wrong. I don't have any heart in what I'm doing now. The days go on by and I can't say I've been productive for society at all. I've been at my sales assistant job now for a little over a year, and it's the least stimulating thing I've ever done in my life.

As a kid I grew up with the chemistry sets and the telescopes. I have HeNe and Argon lasers in the attic. I know I have this in my blood. I just didn't have the courage to go into the science field. But being older and wiser now, I think I've found that. I just don't know how to segway from finance into physics.

I'm getting an MBA part time. It's summer time now so all my school advisors are on summer vacation. I think the moment the lightbulb went off in my head was in my last class, which I aced. I was learning statistics and it reminded me how easily I grasp analytics again. I think that was the final event that changed my mind.

I know I need math, and a maybe undergraduate physics 101 and 102, but besides that, can I just go into a masters program? How do I do this and still make a living? I really want to go into energy, because I want to be a part of the team that helps solve the world's energy problems.

I think ultimatly, I can intertwine physics and business somehow, but I really feel like I've lost a lot of time and have a lot to make up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
Ralph

Physics news on Phys.org
RalphS said:
I know I need math, and a maybe undergraduate physics 101 and 102, but besides that, can I just go into a masters program? How do I do this and still make a living? I really want to go into energy, because I want to be a part of the team that helps solve the world's energy problems.

OK, I will be blunt here and say no, you cannot do even a Masters in Physics simply having had intro physics courses (assuming that what Physics 101 and 102 courses covered). If that's all there is to physics, we would not need the rest of the undergrad physics curriculum.

Take note that in many graduate programs in physics, even for a Masters degree, there may be something similar to a qualifying exam that Ph.D candidates have to take. So if the school you are applying to has one of these, even if you get accepted into the program, it doesn't mean you'll finish if you can't pass such exam. This is of course in addition to all the advanced graduate classes that you are required to take (and probably need to pass at a grade of B or better in competition with other graduate students in your class). I don't know about you, but this appears to be a rather daunting task.

My advise: go back to school and get your B.Sc. You may not even want to major in physics. It appears that you may have an affinity for engineering instead. Also take note that there aren't that many people with both a physics or engineering degree, and also have a degree in finance or an MBA. Such combination is highly desirable in many areas of employment.

Zz.

Dear Ralph,

First of all, congratulations on realizing your true passion and having the courage to make a career change. It takes a lot of self-awareness and bravery to make such a big decision, so kudos to you for taking this step.

As for your question about transitioning from finance to physics, it is definitely possible but will require some effort and planning on your part. Here are a few steps you can take to make the transition smoother:

1. Research: Start by doing some research on the field of physics and different career opportunities in the energy sector. This will help you understand the skills and knowledge required for these roles and give you a better idea of what to expect in terms of job prospects and salary.

2. Gain relevant experience: Since you have a background in finance, it may be helpful to gain some experience in the energy sector through internships or part-time jobs. This will not only give you a better understanding of the industry but also make your transition to a physics-related job easier.

3. Take relevant courses: As you mentioned, you will need to brush up on your math skills and take some introductory physics courses to prepare for a master's program. Look for universities or community colleges that offer these courses and try to enroll in them while you are still working in finance.

4. Network: Networking is key in any career change. Reach out to people in the field of physics and energy, attend conferences and events, and join relevant professional organizations. This will help you make connections and learn more about the industry.

5. Consider a master's program: While it is possible to enter a physics-related job without a master's degree, having one can significantly increase your chances of getting hired. Look for programs that offer a mix of physics and business courses, or consider getting a dual degree in both fields.

6. Be open to entry-level positions: It may be challenging to land a high-level physics job right away, but don't be discouraged. Be open to starting at an entry-level position and working your way up. This will give you valuable experience and help you build a network in the field.

Finally, remember that it's never too late to make a career change. Your previous education and experience in finance will not go to waste, as it will give you a unique perspective and skills that can be useful in the energy sector. Stay determined and keep working towards your goal, and you will be able to make a successful transition to a career in physics and energy

1. What steps should I take to make a successful career change at 25 years old?

The first step is to assess your interests, skills, and values to determine what career path you would like to pursue. Next, research the industry and job market to gain a better understanding of the job requirements and potential opportunities. It may also be helpful to network with professionals in your desired field and gain relevant experience through internships or volunteer work. Finally, create a plan and set realistic goals to guide your career change.

2. Is it too late to change careers at 25 years old?

No, it is never too late to change careers. Many people make successful career changes at different stages of their lives. At 25 years old, you are still young and have plenty of time to explore different career paths and find the right fit for you. It is important to remember that your age should not limit your potential for growth and success.

3. How can I overcome the fear of starting over in a new career?

It is natural to feel anxious or scared about starting over in a new career, but it is important to remember that change can bring new opportunities and growth. To overcome this fear, focus on your passion and motivation for the new career. Surround yourself with a supportive network and seek guidance from a career counselor or mentor. Additionally, break down your career change into smaller, manageable steps to make the transition less daunting.

4. Should I quit my current job before finding a new one in a different field?

It is generally recommended to have a new job lined up before quitting your current one. This can provide financial stability and avoid any gaps in your resume. However, if your current job is causing significant stress or hindering your ability to pursue a new career, it may be necessary to leave before finding a new opportunity. It is important to carefully consider your options and have a plan in place before making any major decisions.

5. What skills and experiences should I highlight in my resume for a career change?

When applying for jobs in a new field, it is important to highlight transferable skills and relevant experiences that showcase your capabilities and potential. These can include soft skills such as communication, teamwork, and problem-solving, as well as technical or industry-specific skills that you have acquired through previous jobs, internships, or education. It may also be beneficial to highlight any relevant certifications or training programs you have completed.