Is there a preferred solution among the solutions to Schrödinger's eq?

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
In summary: Nomadreid.In summary, Schrödinger's equation represents a deterministic evolution of the wave function of a particle. However, there are many solutions to the equation, so there is a preferred solution.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I am a little confused when it is stated that Schrödinger's equation represents a deterministic evolution of the wave function of a particle. I would be OK with the idea that time evolution went from one state to another state in a deterministic way (even though each state, with respect to its eigenvalues, is not deterministic) if there were only one solution to the equation. However, it has many solutions, so why would there be a preferred solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
I am a little confused when it is stated that Schrödinger's equation represents a deterministic evolution of the wave function of a particle. I would be OK with the idea that time evolution went from one state to another state in a deterministic way (even though each state, with respect to its eigenvalues, is not deterministic) if there were only one solution to the equation. However, it has many solutions, so why would there be a preferred solution?
I don't understand your remark, because leaving aside the issue of what happens during a measurement, the Schrodinger equation itself is deterministic. The time-dependent Schrodinger equation is a first order differential equation in time, and if you're given initial values everywhere at t = 0, the solution at times t > 0 is uniquely determined. There's one and only one solution.

Thanks for the reply, Bill_K. Your answer then takes me from the frying pan into the fire. I thought --and this is probably wrong -- Schrödinger's equation is a differential equation which has an infinite number of solutions: any linear combination of plane waves.

nomadreid, Just like any differential equation, you have to be given initial conditions before you can write down the solution. You don't know how high a projectile will go until you are told its initial position and velocity. Likewise to solve the Schrodinger equation, you have to be given its initial values. And since it's a partial differential equation, you have to be given the value of ψ(x, 0) everywhere, at the initial time t = 0. Without being told this information, the problem is not uniquely defined. And it's not the fault of the Schrodinger equation especially, that's just the way PDEs work. But given these initial conditions, there is no longer an infinity of different possible solutions - only one.

Last edited:
Bill_K. Thanks very much. Initial conditions, right. Makes sense.

1. What is Schrödinger's equation?

Schrödinger's equation is a mathematical formula that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state.

2. What are the solutions to Schrödinger's equation?

The solutions to Schrödinger's equation are a set of wave functions that describe the quantum state of a physical system. These solutions are complex mathematical functions that can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state.

3. Is there a preferred solution among the solutions to Schrödinger's equation?

No, there is no preferred solution among the solutions to Schrödinger's equation. Each solution is equally valid and can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state. The choice of which solution to use depends on the specific system being studied and the desired outcome.

4. Are the solutions to Schrödinger's equation unique?

Yes, the solutions to Schrödinger's equation are unique. This means that for a given physical system, there is only one set of solutions that accurately describes the quantum state of that system. However, different systems may have different sets of solutions.

5. How are the solutions to Schrödinger's equation used in scientific research?

The solutions to Schrödinger's equation are used in scientific research to understand the behavior of quantum systems. They are particularly useful in studying the behavior of subatomic particles and can be used to make predictions about their behavior and interactions. These solutions are also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing.