Interest rate calculation help

In summary: So if you use the equation I gave you instead of the one in the original post, it comes out to 2.3.In summary, Nancy wants to invest $4000 in saving certificates that bear an interest rate of 9.75% per yr, compound semiannually. If she wants to save $5000 over 2.3 years, she needs to invest $4100.
mcbates
i am having problems figuring out how to find the answer to this problem:

nancy wants to invest $4000 in saving certificates that bear an interest rate of 9.75% per yr, compound semiannually. how long a time period should she choose inorder to save an amt of $5000?

the answer is approximately 2.3 yrs. i am not sure how to get this answer. pleasssseee help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?
Do you know how to set up the equation somewhat?

i think you use the equation Ao(1+r/n)^nt: i think this one is it.
or Ao e^rt (growth)

Well, we have 4000 at the start and it increased by 9.75 percent, which we can express by multiplying with 1.0975, this for each year. We also know what we want to end up with, so we get the equation: [tex]4000 \cdot 1.0975^n = 5000[/tex]

Here, n is the number of years. Now, could you solve it?

Last edited:
how does that end up being 2.3 years

mcbates said:
how does that end up being 2.3 years
[tex]n = \frac{ln(\frac{5000}{4000})}{ln(1,0975)}[/tex]

Indeed, and that's approximately 2.39 (so I'd say 2.4 when rounding...)
Since the interest comes semianually, to get (at least) the 5000 you have to wait 2.5 years.

where did you get 1.0975 from?

Didn't you read post #4? I already included the equation for you :smile:

okayyyy! Thanks! :rofl:

No problem :smile:

But since you didn't set it up yourself, I hope you do understand it?
If not, don't hesitate to ask for further details!

the only reason i was wondering was because if you set it up in the equation i gave you it would be (1+9.75/2)^2T,,,i think

Well I don't fully understand that one, where did you get the "2" for n?

because the rate of interest in compounded semiannually

Then, I think, the equation should be:

[tex]4000\left( {1 + \frac{{0.0975}}
{2}} \right)^{2t} = 5000[/tex]

That gives approx 2.34

I assume this is correct, because in my earlier equation we didn't use the fact that the interest was semianually.

1. How is interest rate calculated?

The interest rate is calculated by taking the annual interest rate and dividing it by the number of compounding periods in a year. The result is then multiplied by the principal balance to determine the amount of interest earned per compounding period.

2. What factors affect interest rate calculation?

Several factors can affect interest rate calculation, including the annual percentage rate (APR), compounding frequency, and the principal balance. Credit score and loan type may also impact the interest rate.

3. What is the difference between simple interest and compound interest?

Simple interest is calculated based on the original principal amount, while compound interest is calculated based on the original principal amount plus any accumulated interest. This means that compound interest will earn more interest over time compared to simple interest.

4. How can I calculate the total interest paid on a loan?

The total interest paid on a loan can be calculated by multiplying the annual interest rate by the number of years the loan is held, and then multiplying that result by the principal balance. This will give you the total amount of interest paid over the life of the loan.

5. Can interest rates change over time?

Yes, interest rates can change over time. They are often influenced by economic factors such as inflation, market conditions, and monetary policies. It is important to regularly review and monitor interest rates to ensure you are getting the best rate for your financial situation.