Final velocity of a falling object

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of velocity and impact when dropping a body from varying heights. The writer explains that the final velocity of impact would be v_{1}+v_{1} or 2v_{1}, not \sqrt{2}v_{1}, due to the different initial speeds. The individual then provides a mathematical explanation for this concept and clarifies that kinetic energy increases linearly with distance while potential energy decreases linearly.
pumpui
I was reading The History of Physics by Isaac Asimov, and I came across this passage.

"Imagine a body dropped first from a height of 1000 kilometers, then from 2000 kilometers, then from 3000 kilometers, and so on. The drop from 1000 kilometers would result in a velocity of impact [itex]v_{1}[/itex]. If the value [itex]g[/itex] were constant all the way up, then a drop from 2000 kilometers would involve a gain in the first 1000 kilometers equal to the gain in the second 1000 kilometers, so the final velocity of impact would be [itex]v_{1}+v_{1}[/itex] or [itex]2v_{1}[/itex]."

I was wondering why it came to [itex]2v_{1}[/itex]. Wouldn't it be [itex]\sqrt{2}v_{1}[/itex]?

Here's my thinking:

From an equation, [itex]v^{2}_{f}=v^{2}_{i}+2gs[/itex], then we have
[itex]v^{2}_{1}=2g(1000)[/itex] and [itex]v^{2}_{2}=2g(2000)[/itex], and thus
[itex]v_{2}=\sqrt{2}v_{1}[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
You are quite right. The writer lures you into thinking the time needed to traverse the second 1000 m is equal to the time needed for the first. It definitely is not, because the initial speed for the first is 0 but for the second it is v1.

Thank you!

Under constant acceleration the V increases linearly with time. V does not increase linearly with distance.

This looks correct:
If we let i = initial height,
the current height H = i - (a * t^2 / 2).
So a * t^2 = 2 * (i - H).
Therefore t = sqrt(2 * (i - H) / a).
If we substitute that into v = a*t,
v = a * sqrt (2* (i-H)/a). Note that i and a are constants, so the only independent variable is the current height H.

In a nutshell: Kinetic Energy will increase linearly with distance (uniform g) because Potential Energy is reducing linearly (mgh). So the speed will increase as the square root of distance fallen.

1. What is the formula for calculating the final velocity of a falling object?

The formula for calculating the final velocity of a falling object is Vf = Vi + at, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the object has been falling.

2. How does the mass of the object affect its final velocity?

The mass of the object does not affect its final velocity. All objects, regardless of their mass, will experience the same acceleration due to gravity and therefore have the same final velocity when dropped from the same height.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared, which is the rate at which objects accelerate towards the earth's surface when dropped from a height.

4. How does the height from which the object is dropped affect its final velocity?

The height from which the object is dropped does not directly affect its final velocity. However, the longer an object falls, the more time it has to accelerate, leading to a higher final velocity.

5. Can the final velocity of a falling object ever be greater than its initial velocity?

No, the final velocity of a falling object can never be greater than its initial velocity. This is because the acceleration due to gravity always acts in the opposite direction of the initial velocity, causing the object to slow down as it falls.