Hubble's constant and decelaration parameter

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring Hubble's constant using a simple method and the addition of a deceleration parameter q0. The confusion lies in understanding the concept of "angular diameter distance" and how it relates to the equation. The conversation also touches on the use of different values for q0 and Ho and how they affect the data.
doive

Homework Statement

I've been measuring hubble's constant by calcultaing the redshift on a star and it's distance from Earth using a simple method of assuming galaxies have a standard size, then measuring their apparent size to gauge their distance away.

To refine the model i have been asked to include a deceleration parameter q0. I have found an equation relating q0 to Hubble's constant but I'm confused by one of the terms, the 'angular diameter distance'. What is it and what is it actually measuring?

Homework Equations

[tex]d_a= \frac{c}{q_0h_0} \frac{zq_0+(q_0-1)(\sqrt{(2zq_0+1)}-1)}{(1+z)^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

it tells me to use q0=0.1 or 0.5 or 0.8 and plot da against z and check which value of H0 fits the data. q0 seems to just be an arbitrary number? is it just an expansion coefficient for the universe expansion?
Now i can see that as i increase q i increase the "bend" of the line produced, but as i change H0 i just change the gradient, which I'm not sure really helps me at all?

questions in summary:
What is "angular diameter distance"?
surely there is only one value for H0 so how do i "see which fits the data"?
what is q0? it seems to just be arbitrary?

Sorry for a lot of confusion, but I've not taken any astronomy before but have changed courses and have been set this as "catch-up" over, i also have no astronomy textbooks since i hadn't been doing it until recently.

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular diameter distance is a unit of distance used often in astronomy. Wikipedia has a good article explaining it further, but it basically is that

[tex]
d_A=\frac{x}{\theta}
[/tex]

where [itex]d_A[/itex] is the angular diameter distance, [itex]x[/itex] is the actual size of the of the object in question and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angular size of the object.

Aaaah i get it now

Since i have already worked out x from measurement i am in fact using that as the relation to z.

I think my problem previously wad that i was using the value i had calculated for Ho to work out dA rather than the other way about. You're explanation was very simple but it made it click , thanks :D

1. What is Hubble's constant?

Hubble's constant is a value that describes the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is denoted by the symbol H0 and has units of kilometers per second per megaparsec (km/s/Mpc).

2. How is Hubble's constant measured?

Hubble's constant is measured by observing the redshift of light from distant galaxies. The redshift is caused by the stretching of space as the galaxies move away from us. By measuring the distance to these galaxies and their redshift, we can determine the value of H0.

3. What is the significance of Hubble's constant?

Hubble's constant is significant because it provides important information about the age and size of the universe. It also helps us understand the rate of expansion and the rate at which galaxies and other cosmic structures are moving away from each other.

4. What is the deceleration parameter?

The deceleration parameter, denoted by the symbol q0, is a measure of the rate at which the expansion of the universe is slowing down. It takes into account the effects of gravity and matter in the universe, and can tell us whether the universe is currently accelerating or decelerating.

5. How are Hubble's constant and the deceleration parameter related?

Hubble's constant and the deceleration parameter are related by the equation q0 = -H02/H2, where H is the Hubble parameter. This equation shows that the value of the deceleration parameter depends on the value of Hubble's constant, and can provide insights into the future expansion of the universe.