What Transformations Convert e^t to a Damped Exponential Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses various geometric transformations that can be applied to the function f(t) = et to get the function f(t) = (mg/b)(1-e-bt/m). These transformations include vertical and horizontal scaling, reflection across the x-axis, and vertical translation. It also confirms that the reflection across the y-axis is done by multiplying by -1 inside the function.
|<ings
This is just to see if I remember? Please confirm, correct any errors, and answer the questions (q's in bold)

Homework Statement

What geometric transformations will "transform"
f(t) = et [tex]\stackrel{transformations}{\rightarrow}[/tex] [tex]\frac{mg}{b}[/tex] * (1 - e-bt/m)?​

Homework Equations

f(t) = [tex]\frac{mg}{b}[/tex] * (1 - e-bt/m)

= [tex]\frac{mg}{b}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{mg}{b}[/tex])e-bt/m

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) vertical scaling? or horizontal?
f((-b/m)t) -> e-bt/m
let the new f function be equal to g, another function
i.e. g(t) = e-bt/m

(2) reflection across the x-axis, right?
-1 * g(t) = -e-bt/m
let the new g function be equal to h, another function
i.e. h(t) = -e-bt/m

(3) i think this one is the vertical scaling.
[tex]\frac{mg}{b}[/tex] * h(t) = -[tex]\frac{mg}{b}[/tex]e-bt/m
let the new h function be equal to i, another function
i.e. i(t) = -[tex]\frac{mg}{b}[/tex]e-bt/m

(4) vertical translation
i(t) + [tex]\frac{mg}{b}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{mg}{b}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{mg}{b}[/tex]e-bt/m

= [tex]\frac{mg}{b}[/tex] * (1 - e-bt/m)

= f(t)

also, is the reflection across the y-axis [STRIKE]done by multiplying by -1 inside of the[/STRIKE] done like this?: f(x) [tex]\stackrel{reflection across y-axis}{\rightarrow}[/tex] f(-x). TNX

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the reflection across the y-axis is done by multiplying by -1 inside the function, f(x) → f(-x).

Related to What Transformations Convert e^t to a Damped Exponential Function?

What are geometric transformations?

Geometric transformations refer to the process of changing the position, size, or shape of an object in a geometric space. This can be done using mathematical operations such as translation, rotation, reflection, or dilation.

What is the purpose of geometric transformations?

The main purpose of geometric transformations is to manipulate and analyze geometric objects in order to better understand their properties and relationships. They are also used in computer graphics, engineering, and other fields to create and modify shapes and figures.

What is the difference between a rigid and non-rigid transformation?

A rigid transformation, also known as an isometry, preserves the size and shape of an object while moving it to a different location or orientation. On the other hand, a non-rigid transformation changes the size and/or shape of an object in addition to its position.

What are some real-world applications of geometric transformations?

Geometric transformations have many practical applications, such as in map projections, computer animation, and medical imaging. They are also used in everyday objects, such as mirrors, lenses, and buildings, which rely on transformations to produce images or structures with specific properties.

How are geometric transformations used in mathematics?

In mathematics, geometric transformations play a crucial role in the study of geometry, as they allow for the exploration of geometric concepts such as congruence, similarity, and symmetry. They are also used in analytical geometry to solve problems involving equations and geometric figures.