Need hardware recommendations for a videogame controller/software project.

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a video game bot for rhythm games using a modified controller. The bot will require hardware modifications and will be connected to a PC. The controller has two circuit boards that can be manipulated with transistors to send electrical signals. The question is how to interface with the circuit boards and what kind of hardware can read the 8-bit binary code and transform it into corresponding signals. The suggestion is to use an 8-bit PIC processor, which can also support USB. The conversation also mentions the need to incorporate strumming into the bot's abilities and how it can be programmed using the PIC.
Robbert
Hi, I'm really stupid when it comes to hardware and the terminology used. I'll try to explain my project as good as I can.

In short, I want to create a video game bot that can play certain parts (or entire songs) of rhythm games for me. No, not for cheating. :P Just for fun and learning. I have a controller which can be taken apart and tinkered with. This controller must be used, because the console refuses to accept other input devices.
However, to support the bot, some hardware modifications are required.

The general setup I envision is this:
First, there's some software which reads the rhythm data and buffers it. When prompted, it will loop over the note data. I've ran some test runs and even on the more 'note heavy' songs it stayed in sync pretty well, even in speedier parts.
There are six buttons to press in any given combination, with one always being pressed, so using an 8-bit binary code is sufficient to mimic everything that the controller must be capable of doing.

Hooked up to the PC that runs the software is the controller. It'll be connected via a USB port on the PC to an extra USB port that will be placed in the controller. The controller in question is connected to the console through its normal wiring.

Inside the controller are two circuit boards. Hooked up to the circuit boards is the wiring of the buttons which must be pressed. If I'm correct, transistors can be used to emulate that a button is pressed: e.g.: if the 1st and 8th wire, which leave from the first button and are soldered to the circuit board at the other end, represent the first button, then placing the ends of a transistor on those places on the circuit board means that you can send a signal through it that emulates said button being pressed. Please correct me if I'm wrong and indulge on the correct terminology.

My question: what kind of hardware can read the 8-bit binary code I'll be sending it over USB and transform it into the corresponding electrical signals?
Or, in other words: how do I interface with the two circuit boards?

Note: it will not necessarily be USB on the end of the controller. RS232 is a possibility too, or whatever else you suggest. It's all open, but the USB on the PC is not.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum: I wasn't sure on where it did belong. Any help will be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably an 8-bit PIC processor. And don't forget you have to strum too.

Wetmelon said:
Probably an 8-bit PIC processor.

Interesting! It seems to support USB as peripheral, which is handy since my laptop only has USB.
How would it work in practice? You just solder the PIC on the relevant circuit board and program it to do your bidding, with no extra hardware required? Or would you still need to use the transistor on the button wiring's ends to send the signals there?

Wetmelon said:
And don't forget you have to strum too.

Of course. Just to be sure, I made 'strum' a part of the 8-bit binary code. But the downside of it is that, in theory, I'll need to double the amount of bytes I'll need to send depending on whether the strum 'deactivates' itself after being set to high: if not, I'll have to turn it off with a second byte so it can accept the strum command in the next byte.

Or can that be programmed in the PIC, so that a single byte is still sufficient, e.g., you process the byte and send one last command to 'deactivate' the strum?
In fact, could I use the PIC to go over the bits in any order I want? It'd give me some freedom. ;p

1. What type of hardware is needed for a videogame controller/software project?

The type of hardware needed for a videogame controller/software project will depend on the specific requirements and features of the project. Generally, you will need a microcontroller or single-board computer, buttons, joysticks or other input devices, and a way to connect the controller to the computer or gaming console.

2. What is the best microcontroller or single-board computer for this type of project?

The best microcontroller or single-board computer for a videogame controller/software project will depend on your budget, programming experience, and specific project requirements. Popular options include Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and Teensy boards.

3. Can I use off-the-shelf components or do I need to design custom hardware?

You can use off-the-shelf components for your project, but you may need to design custom hardware if your project has unique requirements or features. This will also depend on your budget and technical abilities.

4. Are there any specific programming languages or software required for this project?

The programming language and software required for a videogame controller/software project will depend on the specific microcontroller or single-board computer you are using. Most boards have their own software development environments and support popular programming languages such as C/C++ and Python.

5. How much will it cost to build a videogame controller/software project?

The cost of your project will depend on the specific components and features you choose, as well as any custom hardware or software development. It is best to research and compare prices of different components to determine a budget for your project.