Unbounded Sequences w.r Divergence

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a sequence in the reals that diverges to positive infinity as n approaches infinity. The definition states that for a sequence a_{n}, it will diverge to positive infinity if for any given M, there exists a corresponding N such that for all n greater than or equal to N, a_{n} is greater than or equal to M. It is noted that any value of M will work in this definition. The function given as an example does not have a limit of infinity as it oscillates and does not follow a consistent pattern. The question is raised whether a sequence can only be considered to diverge to positive infinity if it is unbounded above, rather than also being increasing.
skunkswks
considering divergence of a sequence in the reals, a[itex]_{n}[/itex], if such a sequence → +∞ as → n, then I would like to know what type of sequence this reuqires. (excluding divergence to -∞ for now)

so a_n → +∞ iif:
[itex]\forall[/itex] M [itex]\exists[/itex] N, [itex]\forall[/itex] n[itex]\geq[/itex]N [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] a_n [itex]\geq[/itex] M .

So is the above equivalent to stating ( and so another way of saying a_n → +∞ ):
1. a_{n} is increasing &
2. a_{n} NOT bounded above ?

now my main question is, why can't i simply say a_n → +∞ iff a_{n} is NOT BOUNDED ABOVE (and nothing else).

surely then a_{n} by the definition of being unbounded above means a_{n}has no choice but to increase towards +∞? Right...?

and one more consideration: so then a_{n} could be something like :

http://tinypic.com/r/11udow4/5

as drawn. This sequence oscillates, diverges and heads to + ∞ as well as -∞. So can I say this sequence → ∞ or -∞ or which!?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
skunkswks said:
considering divergence of a sequence in the reals, a[itex]_{n}[/itex], if such a sequence → +∞ as → n, then I would like to know what type of sequence this reuqires.

so a_n → +∞ iif:
[itex]\forall[/itex] M [/itex][itex]\exists[/itex] N, [itex]\forall[/itex] n[itex]\geq[/itex]N [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] a_n [itex]\geq[/itex]

[itex]a_n\rightarrow ∞ \Longleftrightarrow \forall M\in ℝ \,\,\exists N_M\in N\,\, s.t. \,\,n>N_M\Longrightarrow a_n > M[/itex] .

DonAntonio

yep that is the definition. M>0 could also work fine instead in that defination?

skunkswks said:
yep that is the definition. M>0 could also work fine instead in that defination?

Any M works.

DonAntonio

skunkswks said:

I don't understand, aren't you using M as a variable, not a constant?

Re your function, if the pattern extends to infinity, then the function does not have a limit of oo.

Bacle2 said:
I don't understand, aren't you using M as a variable, not a constant?

Re your function, if the pattern extends to infinity, then the function does not have a limit of oo.

Okay M as a variable then, but I am just trying to specfiy what range of values it can take.

So with my original post, for a[itex]_{n}[/itex] → +∞ , does it only have to be Unbounded above (instead of also being increasing)?

and with the defination of a[itex]_{n}[/itex] → +∞, that function would not 'diverge to +∞' right?

1. What is an unbounded sequence?

An unbounded sequence is a sequence of numbers that does not have a definite limit or bound. This means that the numbers in the sequence continue to increase or decrease without ever reaching a specific value.

2. How do you determine if a sequence is unbounded?

A sequence is considered unbounded if it either continues to increase or decrease without ever reaching a specific value, or if the values in the sequence become increasingly larger or smaller without ever stabilizing.

3. What is the difference between unbounded and divergent sequences?

An unbounded sequence is a sequence that does not have a definite limit or bound, while a divergent sequence is a sequence that does not have a finite limit. In other words, a divergent sequence can either be unbounded or oscillating, while an unbounded sequence is always unbounded.

4. What are some examples of unbounded sequences?

Some examples of unbounded sequences include the sequence of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...), the sequence of positive integers (1, 2, 3, ...), and the sequence of all real numbers (0, 1, -1, 2, -2, ...).

5. How are unbounded sequences used in mathematics?

Unbounded sequences are used in various branches of mathematics, including calculus, real analysis, and number theory. They are often used to understand the behavior of functions and to prove theorems related to limits and convergence.