Looking for Constructor Toy Set

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, Various options for making a toy set that allows one to connect cylindrical tubes at arbitrary angles are available. A wooden or plastic ball and drill method, skewers, modeling clay, hamster habitrails, and construction sets from hobby shops are all possible options.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone know of a toy set that allows one to connect cylindrical tubes (of somewhat arbitrary length) together at somewhat arbitrary angles? I looked at tinker toys, but Wikipedia said that the joints between tubes were discs that had holes bored into their edges at angles of 45 degrees only.

I want to create a mock up of something.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When I was a kid, we played with Erector sets and Fischer Technic sets to make things. They're probably not exactly what you're looking for though.

Have you considered purchasing wooden or plastic balls and drilling holes to put your cylindrical tubes in? Certainly would be a cheap way to go and you would have more of a custom built model.
Wood balls
Plastic balls
Aluminum rods
etc...

Evo said:

Thanks for the link. Somewhat obvious in hindsight I guess. :redface: K'Nex looks promising, although I haven't yet determined whether it is versatile enough.

Q_Goest said:
When I was a kid, we played with Erector sets and Fischer Technic sets to make things. They're probably not exactly what you're looking for though.

Have you considered purchasing wooden or plastic balls and drilling holes to put your cylindrical tubes in? Certainly would be a cheap way to go and you would have more of a custom built model.
Wood balls
Plastic balls
Aluminum rods
etc...

Ah good old McMaster-Carr. I might have to go this route in the end. We'll see how dedicated I am to the project!

Might I suggest, bamboo skewers (you can buy in bulk and cut to length). Sharpen the ends and stick them into some soft spheres (olives?). Maybe you could use the polystyrene "popcorn" used as a packing material. For a smaller vertex you could use a hot glue gun. Other options, epoxy, duct tape, ...

Another possibility, use plastic soda straws and hot glue, or just melt the ends together with a lighter or weld them together with a soldering gun.

Or use soft wire, twist in a loop and then add as many twists as you need to join cylinders at a vertex, stick straws on the twists and hot glue or epoxy or just use toothpick wedges or other slivers to secure the twists inside the end of the straws.

Or... some other permutation you can think up.

Hobbie shops have styrofoam balls, squares, rectangles, triangles, blocks, or cut your own, don't know if that would work. Modeling clay might work as a custom made connector. Visit your local hobby shop, you'll be amazed at the stuff they have.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Hobbie shops have styrofoam balls, squares, rectangles, triangles, blocks, or cut your own, don't know if that would work. Modeling clay might work as a custom made connector. Visit your local hobby shop, you'll be amazed at the stuff they have.

I was thinking that too. They have wood dowels as well.

Otherwise, a more expensive route that came to mind was hamster habitrails.

I remember a set that had sticks and joints. The joints had 8 slots to put the sticks at 90 and 45 degree angles, but they were flexible plastic so you could really make just about any angle. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of it.

My parents just got me something similar to what you are talking about... I'll look for the link if I can. It was awesome to be a kid again.

http://brightproductsinc.com/index.php/Executivity/View-all-products.html

Thought there would be more, but fun toy. I'm with everyone else and saying make it yourself with construction

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I think I'm going to pursue the hobby store route on the weekend. I'll let you know what I come up with!

1. What is a constructor toy set?

A constructor toy set is a type of building toy that typically consists of various pieces and parts that can be connected together to create structures, vehicles, or other objects. These sets often include tools and instructions for creating specific designs, but can also encourage open-ended and imaginative play.

2. What age is a constructor toy set suitable for?

Constructor toy sets are generally suitable for children ages 5 and up. However, there are sets available for younger children that feature larger pieces and simpler designs, and more advanced sets for older children that may require more dexterity and problem-solving skills.

3. What are the benefits of playing with a constructor toy set?

Playing with a constructor toy set can have numerous benefits for children, including the development of fine motor skills, spatial awareness, creativity, and problem-solving abilities. It can also promote teamwork and cooperation when playing with others.

4. Are constructor toy sets safe for children to play with?

Most constructor toy sets are designed with safety in mind and adhere to strict safety standards. However, it is important for parents to supervise young children while playing with these sets and to ensure that small pieces are kept out of reach of younger siblings.

5. Can constructor toy sets be used for educational purposes?

Yes, constructor toy sets can be used for educational purposes in addition to being a fun toy. They can help children learn about basic engineering and design principles, as well as concepts such as symmetry, balance, and stability. Some sets even come with educational guides and activities to enhance learning.