Complex scalar field and contraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and properties of a scalar complex field, specifically the contraction of the field with itself and the resulting Feynman propagator. It is discovered that the commutators of the positive and negative frequency components of the field are zero, which makes sense based on the nature of the complex scalar field.
wod58
Hi guys,

If I use the definition of the scalar complex field as the combination of two scalar real fields, I can get

[tex]\phi (x) = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi )^3} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2p_0}} [ \hat a _{\vec{p}} e^{-ip.x} + \hat b _{\vec{p}}^{\dagger } e^{ip.x}][/tex]

which I can rewrite in terms of (like in Peskin & Schroeder)

[tex]\phi (x) = \phi ^{+} (x) + \phi ^{-} (x)[/tex]

where [itex]\langle 0|\phi ^{-} = 0[/itex] and [itex]\phi ^{+} |0\rangle = 0[/itex].

My problem is: when you try to calculate the contraction of the field with itself

[tex]\text{\contraction}\{\phi (x)\}\{\phi (y)\} = \begin{cases} [\phi ^{+} (x), \phi ^{-} (y)] , & \text{if } x_0 > y_0 \\ [\phi ^{+} (y), \phi ^{-} (x)] , & \text{if } x_0 < y_0 \end{cases}[/tex]

which is supposed to be the Feynman Propagator, you obtain it for a scalar real field, but for a scalar complex field as defined above, you obtain terms with [itex]\hat a _{\vec{p}} \hat b _{\vec{p \prime}}^{\dagger }[/itex]. The operators commute, so the vacuum expectation of these terms would be 0.

I guess I'm wrong, but can someone see where? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I think the problem is that you are trying to contract the complex scalar field with itself, when I think you can actually only contract it with it's conjugate field (similarly to spin-1/2 fields, i.e. see page 116 of Peskin and Schroeder). I haven't been able to find a reference to back me up on this but I think it must be the case, for the very reason you have discovered.

I.e. in your definition of the contraction there should be a dagger on the second scalar field in the first commutators and on the first field in the second commutator -if you want them to be equal to the Feynman propagator- and the commutators you have written down are indeed zero.

It makes perfect sense now that I think about it more. The positive and negative frequency components of a complex scalar field are totally separate fields in some sense, so of course their commutators should vanish, in a free theory anyway...

Last edited:
Now that you say it, it seems pretty logical. Thanks for explanation. :)

1. What is a complex scalar field?

A complex scalar field is a mathematical concept that describes a field of complex numbers at every point in space. It is a generalization of a scalar field, which only includes real numbers, and is commonly used in theoretical physics to describe phenomena such as quantum fields and electromagnetism.

2. How is a complex scalar field different from a vector field?

A complex scalar field assigns a single complex number to each point in space, while a vector field assigns a vector (typically with magnitude and direction) to each point. In other words, a complex scalar field has only one component at each point, while a vector field has multiple components.

3. What is meant by the "contraction" of a complex scalar field?

In the context of physics, the contraction of a complex scalar field refers to the process of combining two fields (such as a complex scalar field and a vector field) to produce a physical quantity. It is a way of extracting relevant information from a more complex mathematical object.

4. How is the contraction of a complex scalar field used in physics?

The contraction of a complex scalar field is used in various areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and general relativity. For example, in quantum field theory, the contraction of a complex scalar field with its complex conjugate is used to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to interact with its antiparticle. In general relativity, the contraction of a complex scalar field with a metric tensor is used to describe the behavior of matter and energy in curved spacetime.

5. Are there any real-world applications of complex scalar fields and contraction?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of complex scalar fields and contraction. In addition to their use in fundamental physics theories, they are also used in practical applications such as signal processing, image processing, and computer graphics. They are also used in economics and finance to model complex systems and make predictions. Furthermore, the concept of contraction is widely used in engineering and mechanics to simplify complex systems and make them more manageable for analysis and design.