Why planets are "spheres"

by jldibble
Tags: gravity, planets, space, sphere, spheres
jldibble
Jan18-14, 08:47 PM
P: 43
I was reading the specifics on why large bodies in space, such as planets, are pulled into spherical shape and they had a very technical term for the process.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Unique pair of supermassive black holes in an ordinary galaxy discovered
Red stars and big bulges: How black holes shape galaxies
Image: X-raying the cosmos
Chronos
Jan18-14, 09:09 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,183
Gravity is the short answer. A sphere produces maximum volume with the least possible surface area. A planet forms via accretion. Small particles clump together, most likely by electrostatic attraction. As the clump grows gravity takes charge. Gravity is an equal opportunity employer and each particle attracted tries to get as close to the center of gravity as possible. This forces the planet to become spherical over time. The high spots eventually migrate into the lowest available spots. A certain amount of oblateness is present in all planets due to centrifugal force.
jldibble
Jan19-14, 10:50 AM
I understand the forces at work when it comes to the shape. I'm just trying to track down the term that was used that I can't seem to find.

I believe term was three words and was something along the lines of "gravitational ____________ __________"

I apologize that I can't be more descriptive on what I'm looking for.

DrClaude
Jan19-14, 02:05 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,111

Why planets are "spheres"

Isostatic adjustment? http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-planets-round
jldibble
Jan19-14, 06:11 PM
That's it! Thanks
tinypositrons
Jan26-14, 05:50 PM
P: 28
They aren't all spheres. Jupiter is significantly wider at the equator than pole to pole. Look at Haumea, a dwarf planet in the Kuiper belt. It has a highly ecliptic shape!
Superm3
Jan26-14, 06:25 PM
P: 3
I know there's an equation to find out how much an object shifts from being a true sphere. I forgot it though :(
Phoenix59
Feb28-14, 10:29 PM
P: 5
Well, Jupiter would be a sphere but the force of its rotation causes the oblateness. That's going to be true of any rotating sphere, even a relatively solid one such as the earth.
metapuff
Mar4-14, 08:12 PM
P: 10
In addition, the fact that a spherical shape minimizes surface area is key when it comes to understanding planet formation. Planets are more easily formed when there are a bunch of ice particles floating around (they accrete material more easily), so minimizing surface area minimizes exposure to sunlight, which minimizes the amount of ice that gets melted, which makes it easier for the planet to from. But yeah, gravitational compression is going to be the main cause for anything larger than a few tens of kilometers in radius.

Register to reply