Simple throwing ball up problem

• Thread starter j_suder2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, to find the initial launch velocity of a ball thrown vertically with an upward velocity of 18m/s when it reaches 1/4 of its maximum height above its launch point, one can use conservation of energy by setting the initial kinetic energy and potential energy equal to the final kinetic energy and solving for the initial velocity. Alternatively, one can use kinematic equations by setting the initial velocity to be 18m/s and finding the height at this velocity, and then using that height to solve for the initial velocity again.
j_suder2
Simple throwing ball "up" problem

Homework Statement

Ball is thrown vertically with upward velocity of 18m/s when it reaches 1/4 of its maximum height above its launch point. Find initial launch velocity of ball.

Homework Equations

0.5mv2, mgh, v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

The 1/4 of the maximum height is throwing me off.
I tried using kinematics equations to first solve for the first part of the throw (the 1/4)
and then use final velocity of zero at the max height using deceleration of gravity to find this height.
I'm stumped, any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would do this with conservation of energy. Set your h=0 point at the 1/4 point (where v=18m/s)

v is not generally equal to d/t.
While you can use energy conservation, in case you haven't gotten that far... or wish to use something more kinematical, you can use a formula (resembling the energy conservation approach) derived from the constant-acceleration position-vs-time and velocity-vs-time equations.

Ok thanks, I found the height to be 32.8 m (?) at the quarter point, then set KE + PE final to = KE initial and got 25 m/s for an initial velocity. The answer is 21 m/s though. Not sure where I went wrong.

Your height value is incorrect. I'd use conservation of energy to find the height (you don't need to set the height at the 1/4 mark to zero, I find this adds an unnecessary step; just set it equal to 1/4h). What is your energy conservation expression? Once you have the correct value of the height, it's merely a kinematics problem.

If h is the maximum height, you can wright two equation.
v1^2 - vi^2 = -2gh/4...(1)
0 - vi^2 =-2gh ...(2) solve these equation and find vi

Last edited:
rl.bhat, those equations are wrong... should be v1^2-vi^2 = -2gh/4...

My conseravtion of energy expression is .5mv^2 + mgh = .5mv^2
This leaves me with two variables, so I am not sure what is next.
Thanks.

j_suder2 said:
My conseravtion of energy expression is .5mv^2 + mgh = .5mv^2
This leaves me with two variables, so I am not sure what is next.
Thanks.
Perhaps this would be helpful;
j_suder2 said:
Ball is thrown vertically with upward velocity of 18m/s when it reaches 1/4 of its maximum height above its launch point. Find initial launch velocity of ball.

Set it up so your initial velocity is 18m/s. What is the height when the velocity is 18 m/s? What is the velocity when the ball is at maximum height? Once you know the height, the rest will fall into place...

1. What is the simple throwing ball up problem?

The simple throwing ball up problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of a ball when it is thrown straight up into the air. It is a common example used to demonstrate principles of projectile motion and gravity.

2. What are the variables involved in the simple throwing ball up problem?

The variables involved in the simple throwing ball up problem are the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is thrown, the acceleration due to gravity, the time the ball is in the air, and the displacement of the ball.

3. How do you calculate the maximum height reached by the ball in the simple throwing ball up problem?

To calculate the maximum height reached by the ball in the simple throwing ball up problem, you can use the formula: h = (v2sin2θ)/(2g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of launch and the maximum height in the simple throwing ball up problem?

The angle of launch and the maximum height in the simple throwing ball up problem have an inverse relationship. This means that the higher the angle of launch, the lower the maximum height, and vice versa. The maximum height is reached when the ball is thrown straight up in the air (angle of 90 degrees).

5. How does air resistance affect the simple throwing ball up problem?

Air resistance can affect the simple throwing ball up problem by slowing down the ball's motion and causing it to reach a lower maximum height. This is because air resistance creates a force that opposes the motion of the ball, making it lose speed as it travels through the air.