Is GRE Required for International Students from English-Speaking Countries?

In summary, the GRE is a standardized test used for admission into graduate and professional programs in the United States and other countries. It consists of three sections: Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, and Analytical Writing, with an additional unscored section for research purposes. The test can be registered for online, by mail, or by phone and is scored on a scale of 130-170 for Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning, and 0-6 for Analytical Writing. Preparation for the GRE can be done through study guides, practice tests, and online courses, with the recommendation to focus on weak areas and take practice tests to become familiar with the format and types of questions.
Deadpeng
Hey,

I am a physics year 3 undergraduate seeking to pursue a graduate education in the United States. I am from the Republic of Singapore, a commonwealth nation, with English as our official language. May I know if GRE is necessary for me to get into USA universities for graduate education?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should check each university's requirements, but usually the answer is yes.

You may also be required to take the TOEFL, which is an English test often required of international students.

Signapore's national language is English, so I'd be surprised if that is the case.

I can understand your concern about the necessity of the GRE for international students from English-speaking countries. While each university may have its own specific requirements, it is generally recommended for all international students to take the GRE as it is a standardized test that is used to assess a student's readiness for graduate-level studies in the United States.

Even though English may be your official language in Singapore, it is important to note that the GRE is not just a test of language proficiency. It also evaluates critical thinking, analytical writing, and quantitative reasoning skills, which are crucial for success in graduate-level studies in any field of science. Therefore, taking the GRE would not only showcase your language proficiency but also your overall academic abilities.

Additionally, many universities use the GRE as a way to compare applicants from different educational backgrounds and countries. Even if a university does not explicitly require the GRE, submitting a good GRE score can strengthen your application and make you a more competitive candidate.

In conclusion, while it may not be mandatory for international students from English-speaking countries to take the GRE, it is highly recommended to do so in order to increase your chances of admission to graduate programs in the United States. I wish you all the best in your academic pursuits.

1. What is the GRE?

The GRE, or Graduate Record Examination, is a standardized test used for admission into graduate and professional programs in the United States and other countries. It tests verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills.

2. How do I register for the GRE?

You can register for the GRE online through the official website of the Educational Testing Service (ETS). You will need to create an account and choose a test date and location. You can also register by mail or phone, but there may be additional fees.

3. What is the format of the GRE?

The GRE is a computer-based test that consists of three sections: Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, and Analytical Writing. The test also includes an unscored section, either verbal or quantitative, that is used for research purposes. The total testing time is approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes.

4. How is the GRE scored?

The Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections are scored on a scale of 130-170, in 1-point increments. The Analytical Writing section is scored on a scale of 0-6, in half-point increments. The scores are valid for 5 years. Some graduate programs may have specific score requirements for admission.

5. How can I prepare for the GRE?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for the GRE, including study guides, practice tests, and online courses. ETS also offers official GRE practice materials. It is important to create a study schedule and focus on your weak areas. Taking practice tests can also help you become familiar with the format and types of questions on the GRE.