Edge predictions related to QG

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Edge
In summary, the conversation on Edge.org's 2009 question about "big change coming" predictions touched on the topic of quantum gravity, with one prediction by Paul Steinhardt discussing the possibility of a black hole big bang bounce. Other predictions connected cosmology and evolution, and one essay mentioned kite-surfing as a way to enhance human potential and experience.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://edge.org/q2009/q09_index.html

At least one of this year's "big change coming" predictions had to do with quantum gravity. I'd like to collect links to those with some bearing on QG, if there are others.
The one I just read, which impressed me as reasonably likely to happen and described in a fair amount of detail, was by cosmologist Paul Steinhardt. He seems to be leaning more towards the LQG cyclic picture these days (black hole big bang bounce, instead of brane-clash).
If you find more, please post links! There are too many replies to the 2009 Edge question for anyone person to go thru.:approve:

Here is the Paul Steinhardt prediction:
http://edge.org/q2009/q09_3.html#steinhardt
==================

Eventually I went thru the list, realizing that others might not get around to it any time soon. Perhaps I missed some but I could only find one other that either clearly or by some stretch had a bearing on QG:
http://edge.org/q2009/q09_9.html#smolinBoth these essays happened to draw a connection between cosmology and evolution---groping towards a coherent naturalistic cosmo-evo worldview.
I have to confess to disappointment: only two out of 150, and the sole hard-core QG forecast was the one by Paul Steinhardt---at least that I could find.

===================
The forecast I found most enjoyable was a short paragraph about kite-surfing included in Garrett Lisi's essay.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It may not have a direct link to QG, but it touches on the idea of using technology to enhance human potential and experience. Here is the link to his essay: http://edge.org/q2009/q09_12.html#lisi

He mentions the potential for using kites to generate energy and suggests that this could lead to a new form of transportation. While not directly related to QG, it does hint at the endless possibilities and innovations that could arise from our continued study and understanding of fundamental physics. As scientists, it is important for us to not only focus on the theoretical aspects of our research, but also to consider the potential practical applications and impacts on society. Who knows, perhaps one day we will be using quantum gravity to power our kite-surfing adventures!

1. What is QG and how does it relate to edge predictions?

QG, or quantum gravity, is a theoretical framework that aims to explain the behavior of gravity at the quantum level. It is closely related to edge predictions because it seeks to understand the fundamental nature of space and time, which are key components in predicting the behavior of edges in various systems.

2. Can QG be used to predict the behavior of edges in all systems?

No, QG is still a developing field and its applicability to edge predictions is currently limited. It is primarily used in studying the behavior of edges in cosmological systems, such as black holes and the early universe. More research is needed to determine its potential in predicting the behavior of edges in other systems.

3. How accurate are edge predictions based on QG?

The accuracy of edge predictions based on QG is still being evaluated. While it has shown promise in explaining some phenomena, it is not yet a fully developed theory and its predictions may still be subject to further refinement and testing.

4. What are some current challenges in using QG for edge predictions?

One of the main challenges in using QG for edge predictions is the lack of experimental data to test its predictions. The extreme conditions required to observe quantum gravity effects, such as near a black hole, make it difficult to collect data. Additionally, there is still much debate and uncertainty surrounding the mathematical framework of QG, which makes it difficult to make accurate predictions.

5. How can QG be integrated with other theories to improve edge predictions?

QG is currently being studied and integrated with other theories, such as general relativity, to improve edge predictions. By combining different theoretical frameworks, researchers can develop a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of edges in various systems. This integration can also help to address any discrepancies or limitations in individual theories.