Hilbert's theorem and the pseudosphere

• Thread starter diegzumillo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses the study of dynamics on compact spaces of negative curvature, which requires understanding of topology and differential geometry. The article "Chaos on the pseudosphere" by Balazs and Voros is mentioned, where it is stated that it is prohibited for a compact surface of constant negative curvature to be embedded in a 3-dimensional Euclidean space. However, further reading on differential geometry and topology reveals that this prohibition only applies to complete and compact surfaces. The article may be imprecise in using Minkowski space as a simpler way to work with the pseudosphere, as it is not a complete surface. The article "Pseudospheres in geometry and physics" by Bertotti, Catenacci, and D
diegzumillo
Hey there,

My current objective is to study dynamics on compact spaces of negative curvature. This requires me to learn at least some basics of topology and differential geometry, completely new subjects to me!

I'm trying to understand this article from Balazs and Voros "Chaos on the pseudosphere", close to the beginning it is stated that it's prohibited for a compact surface of constant negative surface to be embedded in a 3-dimensional Euclidean space, and they use this to motivate the study of the pseudosphere on the Minkowski 3-d space.

But, from what I've been reading about DG and Topology there is no such prohibition, instead, the Hilbert's theorem (which I think is being referred) states that it is impossible to embed a COMPLETE and compact surface of constant negative surface in any [tex]\Re^{3}[/tex], which includes Minkowski space.

The understanding I'm making of this is that the article is 'imprecise', the Minkowski space is simply a more convenient way of working with the pseudosphere because of simpler equations, but it's not a complete surface (the edges are a singularity, therefore it's not a complete surface) so there must be some equivalent surface in the euclidena 3-d space... does this makes sense? is the article correct and I'm making a huge mess here? :confused:

Thanks everyone :) I hope I'm posting this in the appropriate forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
A little update on my huge mess, I mean, question.

I was reading this article "Pseudospheres in geometry and physics: from Beltrami to De Sitter and beyond" from Bruno Bertotti, Roberto Catenacci and Claudio Dappiaggi (available on arxiv.org) and it confronts these topics directly! I'm still trying to figure it out, though.

1. What is Hilbert's theorem and the pseudosphere?

Hilbert's theorem states that any two-dimensional surface with constant negative curvature can be isometrically embedded in three-dimensional Euclidean space. The pseudosphere is a specific example of a surface with constant negative curvature.

2. Who discovered Hilbert's theorem and the pseudosphere?

The concept of Hilbert's theorem was first introduced by German mathematician David Hilbert in the late 19th century. The pseudosphere was first studied and described by French mathematician Eugène Beltrami in the 1860s.

3. What is the significance of Hilbert's theorem and the pseudosphere?

Hilbert's theorem and the pseudosphere have significant implications in the fields of differential geometry and non-Euclidean geometry. They also have applications in physics, particularly in the study of spacetime in General Relativity.

4. How is the pseudosphere different from a regular sphere?

While a regular sphere has constant positive curvature, the pseudosphere has constant negative curvature. This means that the angles of a triangle on a pseudosphere add up to less than 180 degrees, unlike on a regular sphere where they add up to more than 180 degrees.

5. Can the pseudosphere be visualized in three-dimensional space?

Yes, the pseudosphere can be visualized in three-dimensional space through various models, such as the Beltrami-Klein model or the Poincaré disk model. However, these models distort the true shape of the pseudosphere in order to fit it into three-dimensional space.