Differentiation of fractional and negative powers

In summary, the conversation is about understanding and differentiating a specific type of equation with a fixed numerical value and an unknown variable. The equation involves a fraction with a fixed value being divided by the nth root of the unknown variable. The process of differentiating this equation is discussed and two methods are suggested. One involves applying the rule for differentiating powers of x, while the other suggests writing the equation in a different form to make it easier to differentiate.
bob4000
hello reader

i have a problem understanding the following type of equation.

(n+x)/nth root of x

n being a fixed numerical value and x being the unknown

how would i differentiate such a problem

an example of this is:

(1+x)/4th root x
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
U mean this

[tex] (x^{\frac{1}{4}})'=...? [/tex]

If so,apply the rule for differentiating any power of "x"...

Daniel.

the question reads 1+x/4th root of x

therefore to simplify this:

(1+x) divided by (x^1/4)

how do i get this fraction into a negative function of x

if this was 1 divided by 4th root of x i know that this is then 1/x^1/4
which is x^-1/4

however, when there is a '+x' involved, i get stuck. what do you do with the 1+x to differentiate

Aaa,that's something else.

[tex] [\frac{1+x}{x^{\frac{1}{4}}}]'=[x^{-\frac{1}{4}}(1+x)]' [/tex]

Now differentiate like a product...

Daniel.

Or,and I think simpler, write [itex]x^{-\frac{1}{4}}(1+x)= x^{-\frac{1}{4}}+ x^{\frac{3}{4}}[/itex] and differentiate that.

1. What is the power rule for differentiating fractions?

The power rule for differentiating fractions states that to differentiate a fraction, you must bring the power in the denominator to the numerator and reduce the power in the denominator by 1.

2. How do you differentiate a negative power?

To differentiate a negative power, you must first rewrite it as a fraction with a negative exponent. Then, use the power rule for differentiating fractions to find the derivative.

3. Can you differentiate a fractional power with a variable in the denominator?

Yes, you can differentiate a fractional power with a variable in the denominator using the quotient rule. The quotient rule states that to differentiate a fraction, you must take the derivative of the numerator multiplied by the denominator, minus the derivative of the denominator multiplied by the numerator, all divided by the denominator squared.

4. Is there a general rule for differentiating fractional and negative powers?

Yes, the general rule for differentiating fractional and negative powers is to bring the power in the denominator to the numerator, reduce the power in the denominator by 1, and use the appropriate differentiation rule (power rule, quotient rule, etc.) if necessary.

5. Can you use the chain rule when differentiating fractional and negative powers?

Yes, the chain rule can be used when differentiating fractional and negative powers. If the power is a function of another variable, you must use the chain rule to find the derivative.