What Are the Inverse Elements in Z_7 and Z_13?

• Thread starter Benny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the conversation is about finding the sets of elements with multiplicative inverses in the systems Z7 and Z13. The solutions to the questions 'a' and 'd' are 4 and 12 respectively. The conversation also discusses the use of the theorem that states that a number has a multiplicative inverse if and only if its greatest common divisor with the system is 1. It is also mentioned that all numbers in Z7 and Z13, except 0, have a multiplicative inverse due to the fact that 7 and 13 are prime numbers.
Benny
Hi I'm not sure what the following two questions (actually there are a few more but if I know how to do the following the others should be ok) is asking for.

In the following systems Z_n, write down the sets of elements that have inverses. ( (n) is equal to the number of elements in these sets.)

a) Z_7
d) Z_13

The answers to 'a' and 'd' are 4 and 12 respectively.

The question asks for "the sets of elements that have inverses" but 4 and 12 are just numbers, so how can they be the answers to the questions? I learned that if a number n(bar) is in z_m then n(bar) has a multiplicative inverse iff gcd(m,n) = 1 but I'm not sure how to apply this here. Can someone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the problem is asking for "multiplicative" inverses, since all elements have additive inverses.

Problem (a) is asking for all elements of Z7, n, such that there is some m in Z7 so that mn= 1 (mod 7). One "brute strength" method is took look at every possible number: there are only 6 possibilities. One obvious answer is always "1".
What about 2? Is 2a= 1 (mod 7) for any a? That is, is there a number a such that 2a is of the form 7n+ 1 for some n? Again, an obvious candidate is "4": 2(4)= 8= 7+ 1. 2 has a multiplicative inverse: 4.
What about 3? Is 3a= 1 (mod 7)? 3(2)= 6, 3(3)= 9= 7+2, (3)(4)= 12= 7+ 5, 3(5)= 15= 2(7)+ 1. 3 has a multiplicative inverse: 5.
Of course, 4 has a multiplicative inverse: 2.
Of course, 5 has a multiplicative inverse: 3
That leaves 6. 6*6= 36= 5(7)+ 1. 6 is its own multiplicative inverse.
Every number in Z7 has a multiplicative inverse.

The key point is that 7 and 13 are both prime numbers. " if a number n(bar) is in z_m then n(bar) has a multiplicative inverse iff gcd(m,n) = 1". If n is prime then,
gcd(m,n)= 1 for every number less than n except 0.

The set of all elements of Z7 and Z13[/b] are just the elements of Z7 and Z13 except 0.

Thanks for the help HallsofIvy. The use of the theorem that you mentioned didn't come to me as I was working through the questions but it's good that you've mentioned it. I'll try to keep things like that in mind in future.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of "Just a quick question"?

"Just a quick question" is a colloquial phrase that typically precedes a question that is short and simple in nature. It is often used in casual conversations or emails to indicate that the speaker does not want to take up much of the listener's time.

2. Is "Just a quick question" a polite way to ask a question?

Yes, using the phrase "Just a quick question" is considered a polite way to ask a question, as it shows that the speaker is aware of the listener's time and does not want to take up too much of it. However, it is important to also use a polite tone and phrasing when asking the actual question.

3. Can "Just a quick question" be used in a professional setting?

Yes, "Just a quick question" can be used in a professional setting, but it is important to use it appropriately and sparingly. In a professional context, it is best to use this phrase when asking a question that truly is quick and does not require much explanation or elaboration.

4. What is the difference between "Just a quick question" and "Just a question"?

The main difference between these two phrases is the word "quick". While both indicate that the question will be brief, "Just a quick question" specifically implies that the question will not take up much time at all. "Just a question" can be interpreted as a more general statement and does not necessarily imply a short question.

5. Can I use "Just a quick question" to ask for help or assistance?

Yes, you can use "Just a quick question" to ask for help or assistance. However, it is important to also provide context and be specific about what kind of help or assistance you need. Simply saying "Just a quick question" may come across as vague and may not prompt a helpful response.