STAR: Comparing Ionization and Thermal Energy in the Sun

In summary: J, which is significantly greater than the thermal energy of the sun, calculated to be 1.47*10^38 J. This means that the sun does not have enough energy to completely ionize all of its hydrogen, assuming a uniform density approximation and that the sun is mostly composed of hydrogen.
Brewer
Question says:
Approximately how much energy would be required to ionize all the
hydrogen in the Sun? How does this ionization energy compare with
the thermal energy of the Sun?
(Assume the uniform density approximation. The ionization energy of
a single hydrogen atom is 2.18e−18 J.)

Am I to calculate the number of hydrogen atoms in the sun, and multiply by the ionization energy of a single atom? If so do you think its a decent assumption to say that the Sun is entirely made from hydrogen?

If so I get the ionization energy to be [tex]2.59*10^3^9 J[/tex] and the thermal energy to be [tex]1.47*10^3^8 J[/tex], so there isn't enough energy in the sun to ionise all its hydrogen

Physics news on Phys.org
If we consider the number of atoms, the sun is composed of about 91% hydrogen and the rest is mostly helium, so I would guess that it is a fair assumption.
Brewer said:
Am I to calculate the number of hydrogen atoms in the sun, and multiply by the ionization energy of a single atom? If so do you think its a decent assumption to say that the Sun is entirely made from hydrogen?

Sounds good to me.

~H

Yippee! Intuition worked for once!

Brewer said:
Yippee! Intuition worked for once!

Lmao. However, if you wish to be more accurate you could use the figures here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun to calculate actaully how much hydrogen is in the sun by mass then calculate the number of atoms and hence the ionisation enthalpy... :biggrin:

~H

Brewer said:
If so I get the ionization energy to be [tex]2.59*10^3^9 J[/tex] and the thermal energy to be [tex]1.47*10^3^8 J[/tex], so there isn't enough energy in the sun to ionise all its hydrogen
How do you get this value for the thermal energy?

AM

What is ionization of the Sun?

Ionization of the Sun is the process by which the Sun's neutral atoms lose one or more electrons, resulting in the formation of positively charged ions.

What causes ionization of the Sun?

The Sun's extreme temperatures and intense radiation cause its atoms to lose electrons, resulting in ionization. Additionally, collisions between particles in the Sun's atmosphere can also cause ionization.

How does ionization affect the Sun's behavior?

Ionization plays a crucial role in the Sun's behavior, as it affects the temperature, pressure, and magnetic fields within the Sun's atmosphere. It also contributes to the solar wind and the formation of sunspots.

What types of ions are present in the Sun's atmosphere?

The Sun's atmosphere contains a variety of ions, including hydrogen, helium, carbon, oxygen, and iron ions. These ions have different levels of ionization, depending on the temperature and radiation levels in the Sun's atmosphere.

What is the significance of ionization of the Sun for Earth?

Ionization of the Sun has a significant impact on Earth's space weather and can affect our planet's magnetic field and communication systems. It also plays a role in the formation of auroras and can disrupt satellite communications and power grids during solar storms.