Average Retarding Force Problem

In summary, the arrow will travel for 0.008 seconds before coming to a stop. The average retarding force on the arrow is -393.75N.
thebestrc
[SOLVED] Average Retarding Force Problem

Homework Statement

An arrow of mass 45 g strikes a wood block target horizontally with a velocity of 70
ms-1 and penetrates a distance of 280 mm. Ignoring air resistance, calculate (a) the time it takes for the arrow to stop moving, and (b) the average retarding force exerted on the arrow by the wood block target.

Homework Equations

v=u + at
F= ma
V2=u + 2as

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the time using the 1st formula listed (t=7.14 3sf) but when i go to work out the average retarding force using F=ma and get 0.44145 which seems wrong to me .Could someone please tell where I'm going wrong?
I also worked out the total distance traveled by the arrow which is 250m including the 280mm penetration of the wood.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part I'd use the following since 7.14 seems a lot to me.

[tex] s = \left(\frac{u+v}{2} \right) t [/tex]

Once you have time you can work out the acceleration and then the force.

I've worked out the total distance traveled by the arrow which is 250m . I found this out using the equation [tex] v^2=u^2 +2as [/tex] . I then substitute it into the equation you gave me and i still get 7.14 (3sf).

u=70 , a=-9.81 s= 250 (including distance penetrated)

It doesn't ask for the the time it takes for the arrow to travel the full distance. It asks how long it takes to stop moving. That is how long it takes to come to rest in 280mm.

oh ok. me thinks i interpretated the question. Thanks.
that means t=0.008s.
I thought a= -9.81m/s since the effects of air/wind resistance are ignored?

I think this is the right answer for retarding force: -393.75N
I got it by working out a instead of using -9.81 , and i got -8750 which seems quite alot.

Last edited:
-9.81 will be the vertical component of acceleration but we're only considering the horizontal motion. Now you have your time you can work out the acceleration the arrow underwent to cause it to stop. Then you can work out the force.

Actually I've been a bit of a fool because you don't really need to work out the time. Its just since you said you'd worked it out in the first post I kind of got blinkered by it. Of course you could have worked out the acceleration directly from [itex]v^2 = u^2 +2as[/itex]. Never mind. You get the same answer in the end. :smile:

Thanks for the help. I've been at uni for a year now and this stuff still puzzles me.

thebestrc said:
Thanks for the help. I've been at uni for a year now and this stuff still puzzles me.

You'll get there. I was pretty much puzzled initially because before that I'd never really worked at my education. Once I realized I had to start putting in some work it took a while to learn how to learn but I made it. As will yourself.

1. What is an average retarding force problem?

An average retarding force problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the average force required to slow down or stop an object's motion. This can include problems such as calculating the braking force needed to stop a car or the frictional force needed to slow down a sliding object.

2. How is the average retarding force calculated?

The average retarding force is calculated by dividing the total change in velocity by the time interval over which the change occurred. This is represented by the equation F = mΔv/Δt, where m is the mass of the object, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the time interval.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the average retarding force?

The magnitude of the average retarding force depends on several factors, including the mass of the object, the initial velocity, the time interval over which the change in velocity occurs, and the type of force acting on the object (such as friction or air resistance).

4. How does the direction of the average retarding force affect the object's motion?

The direction of the average retarding force is always opposite to the direction of the object's motion. This means that the force will slow down the object's motion or bring it to a stop, depending on the magnitude of the force and the object's initial velocity.

5. How is the average retarding force problem related to Newton's laws of motion?

The average retarding force problem is related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law relates the net force acting on an object to its acceleration, which is important in calculating the average retarding force.