Gravity Waves vs Elastic Sheet: Is the Analogy Productive?

In summary, this analogy suggests that gravity waves are a good model of sound waves, but that they are not a good model of gravity waves.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
The basic question was inspired by some other recent threads on the "fabric of space". If we imagine a 2-d spatial rubber sheet, how closely can we make its vibrational modes compare to gravity waves (in the limit of non-relativistic velocities).

It's well known that gravity waves locally stretch in one direction and compress in the other, I would assume this would place some constraints on Poisson's ratio of our hypothetical material.

Is this even possible at all, or is the analogy unproductive if we try to take it too seriously? As I recall, there are no spherically symmetric gravity waves, but if we drop a pebble on a sheet, we expect as a primary mode spherically symmetric ripples.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this will work. The rubber waves are fundamentally dipole in nature and gravitational waves are fundamentally quadrupole.

I think you need at least a 3D-body with Poisson's ratio 0.5 to conserve the volume. It wouldn't work, though. Imagine a plane wave: You have deflections proportional to transverse distance, that means arbitrarily large. If you want to simulate this with real, proper acceleration, you have to reduce the frequency accordingly to zero.
I could imagine a quadrupole deformation propagating along a tube, but I'm not sure about this.

pervect said:
The basic question was inspired by some other recent threads on the "fabric of space". If we imagine a 2-d spatial rubber sheet, how closely can we make its vibrational modes compare to gravity waves (in the limit of non-relativistic velocities).

It's well known that gravity waves locally stretch in one direction and compress in the other, I would assume this would place some constraints on Poisson's ratio of our hypothetical material.

Is this even possible at all, or is the analogy unproductive if we try to take it too seriously? As I recall, there are no spherically symmetric gravity waves, but if we drop a pebble on a sheet, we expect as a primary mode spherically symmetric ripples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_wave

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

If we imagine a 2-d spatial rubber sheet, how closely can we make its vibrational modes compare to gravity waves
Rubber sheet gets deformed in the dimension perpendicular to the sheet and is a good model of a scalar field.

Sound waves are displacements in the dimension(s) parallel to the sheet, so they are a good model of a vector field.

Gravitational waves are a spin-2 tensor field. The best analogy I saw looks like the metal net used for fences:
2wf4hnn.jpg

Its modes of vibration look a bit like that:
19o3gx.jpg

This is the closest analogy of a spin-2 wave I know.

Now if someone could give me a real life analogy of a spinor wave my life will be complete :).

1. What are gravity waves and elastic sheets?

Gravity waves refer to disturbances in the fabric of space-time caused by massive objects moving through it, while elastic sheets are physical models used to explain this phenomenon.

2. How does the analogy between gravity waves and elastic sheets work?

The analogy between gravity waves and elastic sheets works by imagining the fabric of space-time as a sheet that can be stretched and distorted by massive objects, similar to how a physical elastic sheet would behave when a weight is placed on it.

3. Is the analogy between gravity waves and elastic sheets accurate?

The analogy between gravity waves and elastic sheets is not entirely accurate, as it is simply a simplified model used to explain a complex phenomenon. However, it can be a helpful tool in understanding the concept of gravity waves.

4. How is the analogy between gravity waves and elastic sheets used in scientific research?

The analogy between gravity waves and elastic sheets is commonly used in scientific research to help visualize and explain the behavior of gravity waves. It can also aid in developing new theories and models related to gravity and space-time.

5. What are the limitations of using the analogy between gravity waves and elastic sheets?

While the analogy can be useful, it is important to remember that it is just a simplified representation of a complex phenomenon. It cannot fully capture all the intricacies and details of gravity waves, so it should not be relied upon as the sole explanation for this phenomenon.