What technology could make a cricket ball stop and hover in mid-air?

• Thread starter lufc88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation discusses a dream where a cricket ball was bowled and stopped in mid-air after bouncing. The question is raised about what technology would be needed to achieve this and whether it is possible to stop the ball's velocity abruptly. The idea of using gyroscopes is mentioned, but it is countered by the conservation of momentum. The possibility of using propellers to turn the ball into a small helicopter is also brought up.
lufc88
Just had a dream about someone that bowled a cricket ball (spin delivery) and after it bounced when it got to about a meter in height it just stopped dead in the air and hovered. What technology inside of the ball would be needed so that lift force was countered so that it would stop vertically and then another force against the gravitational to keep it in the air. Also is there anyway the velocity the bowler had given to the ball could just be stopped dead somehow.
Was thinking something to do with gyroscopes

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum rules out all internal mechanisms (if you want to stop it for longer than a few milliseconds). If the ball stops and it is not windy, you also rule out aerodynamics. I don't see a way to make that happen with a regular ball in a usual setup. Strong winds in the right directions can make the ball fly in nearly arbitrary patterns.

You could equip your ball with propellers and make it a small helicopter, but I guess that's not what you want.

thank you for your reply

Related to What technology could make a cricket ball stop and hover in mid-air?

1. Why did I dream about a cricket ball stopping suddenly?

Dreams are often a reflection of our subconscious thoughts and feelings. A cricket ball stopping suddenly in your dream could represent a situation or aspect of your life that you feel is out of your control and has come to a sudden halt.

2. What does it mean if I am playing with a cricket ball that stops in my dream?

Playing with a cricket ball that stops in your dream may symbolize a desire for competition or a need to assert yourself in a situation. It could also represent feeling stuck or unable to make progress in a certain area of your life.

3. Is dreaming about a cricket ball stopping related to my real-life experiences?

Dreams about a cricket ball stopping can be interpreted as a reflection of your current thoughts, emotions, and experiences. It is possible that something in your waking life triggered this dream, but the interpretation may also depend on the context of the dream and your personal associations with cricket.

4. Can the color of the cricket ball in my dream have any significance?

Colors in dreams often have symbolic meanings, but the interpretation can vary from person to person. In the context of a cricket ball stopping in a dream, the color may represent your feelings or thoughts about the situation. For example, a red cricket ball may symbolize anger or intensity, while a green cricket ball may represent growth or new beginnings.

5. What can I learn from dreaming about a cricket ball that stops?

Dreams about a cricket ball stopping can offer insights into your current thoughts, emotions, and concerns. It may be helpful to reflect on the context of the dream and any personal associations you have with cricket. This can provide valuable information about areas of your life where you may be feeling stuck, frustrated, or in need of change.