Distance of projectile - only speed given

In summary, Andy Roberts the former West Indian Cricket player and Fast Bowler, bowled his fastest delivery in 1975 at 159.5 km/h. Neglecting air resistance, calculate the maximum distance he could have thrown the ball at this speed (on earth!) had he been able to throw it:He could have thrown the ball up to 44.31 meters which is the maximum range.
SpiraRoam

Homework Statement

Andy Roberts the former West Indian Cricket player and Fast Bowler, bowled his fastest delivery in 1975 at 159.5 km/h. Neglecting air resistance, calculate the maximum distance he could have thrown the ball at this speed (on earth!) had he been able to throw it:

i) Vertically upwards from the cricket field

ii) Horizontally across the cricket field.

Homework Equations

s=ut+1/2at^2
v=u + at (rearranged for a and t)
distance = speed x time

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty confused with this problem - I'm used to a couple of values being given with equations of motion and projectiles. I was wondering whether to find the acceleration of the ball or to just assume that it's constant? The value given is a velocity with it having a direction (horizontal / vertical) making it a vector right?

I'm not sure whether the velocity stays constant throughout either? If it's being thrown the maximum distance then it's bound to lose velocity as time progresses. How am I to calculate this for the final velocity and how would this impact on the time?

Converting the 159.5 km/h to metres per second gives 44.31 m/s. This will be the initial velocity but how to find the acceleration and time values? I'm sure gravity comes into it for the horizontal as well as vertical directions and I imagine the ball won't be airborne for more than 3-5 seconds or so but how to calculate the certainty?

I was looking into using a speed - time graph and finding distance from the area underneath but again there aren't enough values given and I don't know how to derive them.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Day3091 said:
Neglecting air resistance, calculate the maximum distance he could have thrown the ball at this speed (on earth!) had he been able to throw it:
The problem is oddly worded, but I interpret it as: What's the maximum height the ball could be thrown? and: What's the maximum distance across the field the ball could be thrown?

Day3091 said:
I'm not sure whether the velocity stays constant throughout either?
If the velocity stayed constant the ball would just keep going higher and higher!

Hint: This is a projectile motion problem.

I need to find the time in seconds for the vertical trajectory and then I can multiply that by the 44.31 m/s for the horizontal distance.

I'm stuck with how to find the vertical time or distance though. I'm sure it's derived from s=1/2at^2 and for time this would be rearranged to:

t^2= 2s/a and then square rooting.

Would there be an acceleration for the vertical path with gravity acting down on the ball? In most of the example problems I'm reading about there is always at least one more value given.

The question is very badly worded...

a) If he throws it straight up the ball will start decelerating at "g" as soon as it leaves his hand. To calculate how high it will go you can either apply conservation of energy or use the equations of motion with constant acceleration. It's not clear what "maximum distance" means. Is it the vertical height achieved? Double that? or zero because it lands back where it starts.

b) If he throws it horizontally you need to know how tall he is in order to calculate the time it take to fall to the ground. That's not given so you cannot answer this question without making an assumption about his height.

Day3091 said:
I need to find the time in seconds for the vertical trajectory and then I can multiply that by the 44.31 m/s for the horizontal distance.

Lets assume there is a part c) that asks how far he could throw the ball if given a choice of launch angles..

It can be shown that the max range is achieved with a 45 degree launch angle. This is then a projectile motion problem. You need to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the launch velocity. The vertical component and the equations of motion give you the time of flight. That and the horizontal component of velocity gives you the range.

Firstly, there are some issues about your problem, could you please just copy-paste the problem here?

The main issues are:
1) what's the "maximum distance", you should be able to tell us if we are talking about the displacement on the x axis, the y-axis or both of them
2) Reading you problem, it is not possible to answer part of it with just the data you provided.

Again, please re-read the problem carefully and just copy-paste it here if you need help, I'm pretty sure that you either read the questions wrongly or missed some data "kind of hidden" in the problem statement

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance of a projectile with only the speed given?

The formula for calculating the distance of a projectile with only the speed given is: distance = (speed)^2 / (acceleration due to gravity * 2).

2. Can the distance of a projectile be calculated using only the speed and no other information?

Yes, the distance of a projectile can be calculated using only the speed and no other information, as long as we assume that there is no air resistance or other external factors affecting its flight.

3. How does the angle of projection affect the distance of a projectile?

The angle of projection affects the distance of a projectile by determining the initial velocity components in the horizontal and vertical directions. The greater the angle, the more the initial velocity is directed in the horizontal direction, resulting in a longer distance traveled.

4. Is the distance of a projectile affected by the mass of the object?

No, the distance of a projectile is not affected by the mass of the object. This is because the mass of the object cancels out in the formula for calculating distance, leaving only the speed and acceleration due to gravity as factors.

5. How does air resistance affect the distance of a projectile?

Air resistance can significantly affect the distance of a projectile by slowing it down and reducing its velocity. This results in a shorter distance traveled compared to if there was no air resistance. To calculate the distance of a projectile with air resistance, more information about the object's shape and aerodynamics is needed.