How can Lenz's Law be derived?

In summary, Heinrich Lenz postulated in 1834 the law that an induced current will always oppose the motion or change causing it. While there is no mathematical derivation for Lenz's Law, it is a fundamental consequence of Maxwell's equations and conservation of energy. Changing the conventions for directionality in these equations will not alter the concept of Lenz's Law.
acimarol
Heinrich Lenz postulated in 1834 the following law;

"An induced current is always in such a direction as to oppose the motion or change causing it"

I have checked many undergrad/grad-level textbooks for a derivation, but they all just state Lenz's Law without derivation as if it were a universal law like the conservation of energy.

Can anyone help me with a derivation of Lenz's Law?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you can really "derive" something like Lenz's Law.
Do you mean mathematically? because I don't know if that's necessarily possible,
its just an observed fact that if you (for instance) change the magnetic flux through a solenoid a current will be induced that will create a Magnetic field to oppose the change.
Perhaps intuitively you could think of it as a solenoid resisting changes to its B fields,
and following that logic it can be seen as a result of conservation arguments.

Its sort of like asking to "derive" the observed fact that a moving charged particle
feels a force perpendicular to the velocity of the particle and the B field;
its just what happens.

Redd said:
I don't know if you can really "derive" something like Lenz's Law.
Do you mean mathematically? because I don't know if that's necessarily possible,
its just an observed fact that if you (for instance) change the magnetic flux through a solenoid a current will be induced that will create a Magnetic field to oppose the change.

Yes, I am asking for some sort of mathematical proof. But what you say is reasonable, and I see where you are coming from.

Let's say a magnetic dipole is moving toward a coil with a constant velocity. I was mainly wondering if the part of Lenz's Law that says the induced magnetic field will oppose the motion of the magnet is a consequence of conservation of energy? Or am I interpreting Lenz's incorrectly, and it actually does not state anything about opposing the motion of the magnetic dipole?

jtbell said:
Lenz's Law is the conseqence of the minus sign in the third of Maxwell's equations, which are the fundamental starting point for classical electrodynamics:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/maxeq.html

I think you've got it a bit backwards, the minus sign I think is the consequence of the experimental fact. All it does is give the the direction of the E field, as you may remember are conventions for picking the directions of E and B fields are arbitrary. Frankly I think asking to derive Lenz's Law is like asking to derive the right hand rule, its just the result of an arbitrary choice of picking a direction. Reverse the directions and suddenly the "Law" says that the induced EMF supports the change in flux.

lubuntu said:
I think you've got it a bit backwards, the minus sign I think is the consequence of the experimental fact. All it does is give the the direction of the E field, as you may remember are conventions for picking the directions of E and B fields are arbitrary. Frankly I think asking to derive Lenz's Law is like asking to derive the right hand rule, its just the result of an arbitrary choice of picking a direction. Reverse the directions and suddenly the "Law" says that the induced EMF supports the change in flux.

No, you cannot get the EMF to support the change in flux, that would violate energy conservation at the very least. If you changed the handed-ness convention consistently throughout the equations, you should preserve Lenz's Law.

What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a physical law that describes the direction of induced electromotive force (EMF) and current in an electric circuit. It states that the direction of the induced current is always such that it creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

Who discovered Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law was discovered by the Russian physicist Heinrich Lenz in the 1830s.

What is the equation for Lenz's Law?

The equation for Lenz's Law is: E = -dΦ/dt, where E is the induced electromotive force, Φ is the magnetic flux, and t is time.

How is Lenz's Law related to Faraday's Law of Induction?

Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that the induced EMF in a circuit is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit. Lenz's Law provides a direction for the induced current, while Faraday's Law gives the magnitude of the induced EMF.

What are the practical applications of Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is used in many practical applications, including electric generators, transformers, and induction motors. It also helps explain phenomena such as eddy currents and magnetic braking. Additionally, Lenz's Law is important in the design and operation of electromagnetic devices and circuits.