3 point charges in the x direction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three point charges aligned along the x-axis and finding the electric field at a specific position. The individual is unsure how to approach the problem and is questioning the units of charge and electric field. The correct answer is given as 24nC, but the individual is unsure about the units being in nano-Coulombs instead of Newtons per Coulomb.
Trista
Here is the problem:
Three point charges are aligned along the x-axis as shown below. Find the electric field at the position x = +2.0m, y=0.
........y
........|
--------|<--.50m --->|<--------------.80m-------->|
--------0------------0-----------------------------0--------- X
...-4.0nC....|5.0nC........3.0nC
........|

So, I figured that I have to add up the E along the x-axis and that should give me my answer. But, I'm not sure what to do with the numbers when they are already an Electrical Field... -4.nC isn't the charge, so, don't I need to find the q (or charge) first? then put it in the form kq/r^2??

The only way I can come up with the answer is wrong... total E = 4,
EA = 4 nC X 2m = 8 nC/m. 3 Charges times 8 nC/m = 24 nC... But that was simply a coincidence, I'm sure. 24 nC is the right answer, just need help getting there.:eek:

Thank you in advance for your help and patience.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure? Those are units of charge, not of the electric field.

Why isn't -4.0 nC a charge? Isn't nC a nano-Coulomb? So it has units charge. The electric field has units N/C or V/m. So how can 24 nC be the right answer when it has the wrong units?

Unfortunately, the book says that 24nC is the answer. Its been wrong before, but not very often.

and about the nC, I was thinking it was Newton per Couloumb. Didn't even consider a nano couloumb... I will run with that. Thankyou

Last edited:
The units are definitely wrong if that's supposed to be an electric field...

Related to 3 point charges in the x direction

1. What is the equation for calculating the electric force between three point charges in the x direction?

The equation for calculating the electric force between three point charges in the x direction is Fx = k(q1q2/r122 + q1q3/r132 + q2q3/r232), where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1, q2, and q3 are the charges on the three particles, and r12, r13, and r23 are the distances between the particles.

2. How does the direction of the electric force change when one of the charges is negative?

When one of the charges is negative, the direction of the electric force will be opposite to the direction it would be if all three charges were positive. This is because the negative charge will experience a force in the opposite direction compared to the positive charges due to the attractive nature of opposite charges.

3. Can the electric force between three point charges in the x direction be repulsive?

Yes, the electric force between three point charges in the x direction can be repulsive if all three charges are of the same sign. In this case, the force will be directed away from the charges, causing them to repel each other.

4. How does the distance between the charges affect the magnitude of the electric force?

The magnitude of the electric force between three point charges in the x direction is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force will decrease, and vice versa.

5. Can the electric force between three point charges in the x direction be zero?

Yes, the electric force between three point charges in the x direction can be zero if the charges are arranged in such a way that the forces cancel each other out. This can happen when the charges are placed in a straight line and the middle charge is equal in magnitude but opposite in sign to the other two charges.