Solving cubic equation with matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of b, c, and d in a cubic equation using three given points. The conversation also mentions a matrix system that can be used to solve the equation, but it ultimately does not provide the correct solution. Instead, a different matrix system is suggested, and the use of a matrix inversion is also mentioned as a potential solution method.
Beam me down
I need to find b, c and d in a cubic equation of the form y=x3+bx2+cx+d (ie. a=1 if a is the coefficient of x3). I've been given three points (-2,-13), (-1,0), (1,2). If I had a fourth piece of data i could solve the equation I suppose, but with only three I've really struggled. Here's what I've got so far:

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/9821/matrix0iw.gif

(1) is just the set out
(2) I've entered the data
(3) I've rearranged the equation

But when I thin input the equation on my calculator (the TI-89 Cas calc) I get a matrix in which every row has x and y in it. But that solution doesn't agree with the back of the book, which states that:
b=-2
c=0
d=3

which indicates a final equation of y=x3-2x2+3

I've thought of using a matrix system which ommits the top row of all three matrices, but of course that equation system isn't defined.

I'd really apprieciate any help, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
3 pieces of data is enough, you'll have 3 equations and 3 unknowns. Remove the first [x^3 x^2 x 1] row from the first matrix and the first [y] row from the last (but don't change the [1 b c d]^T matrix). It's representing the equation y=x^3+bx^2+cx+d, which doesn't help you solve for b, c, and d.

shmoe said:
3 pieces of data is enough, you'll have 3 equations and 3 unknowns. Remove the first [x^3 x^2 x 1] row from the first matrix and the first [y] row from the last (but don't change the [1 b c d]^T matrix). It's representing the equation y=x^3+bx^2+cx+d, which doesn't help you solve for b, c, and d.

So your suggesting the following matrix?

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8471/matrix28pd.gif

Becuase the matrix to the negative power is undefined, and even if it were, a matrix with 4 columns can't multiply with a matrix of 3 rows.

Last edited by a moderator:
So your suggesting the following matrix?

No, he's suggesting

Code:
/-8  4 -2  1 \ /1\   /-13\
|-1  1 -1  1 | |b| = |  0|
\ 1  1  1  1 / |c|   \  2/
               \d/

Obviously you can't simply invert your matrix to solve this one. So use something else. :tongue:

Incidentally, is there any particular reason you put a known into your unknown vector? You could use a matrix inversion, if you really wanted to, and set the problem up right.

1. What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable. It is called a cubic equation because the highest power of x is 3.

2. How are matrices used to solve cubic equations?

Matrices can be used to solve cubic equations by representing the coefficients and constants of the equation as a matrix. The matrix can then be manipulated using matrix operations to find the values of x that satisfy the equation.

3. What is the advantage of using matrices to solve cubic equations?

The advantage of using matrices is that it allows for a more organized and systematic approach to solving cubic equations. It also makes it easier to perform calculations and manipulate the equation to find the solutions.

4. Can all cubic equations be solved using matrices?

Yes, all cubic equations can be solved using matrices. However, some equations may have complex or imaginary solutions which cannot be represented in a matrix.

5. Are there any limitations to using matrices to solve cubic equations?

One limitation of using matrices to solve cubic equations is that it can be time-consuming and tedious for equations with large coefficients. It is also not the most efficient method for finding complex or imaginary solutions.