Digital holography - why not 3d?

In summary: If so, you can print the interference pattern and then project it onto a screen or another photoreceptor.
fargoth
after applying Fourier transform on the interference picture i get from the object ray and the reference ray (which i captured with a high definition CCD), i can see the object again... but it doesn't look like a hologram to me... its pretty 2d dimensional looking... my guess is that my printer\screen resolution is too low for the effect to take effect... am i right?

if i'd use a better printer, will i be able to see my object (almost) is three dimensions? is there a printer with a high enough resolution?
(or is it because of another factor which i didn't take into consideration?)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you need to supply more details of your experiment. In any event, I seriously doubt that any monitor or printer can created the resolution needed to duplicate photonic wave interference.

im spliting a laser beam into an object beam and a reference beam, the object beam is reflected from an object and interferes with the reference beam on the CCD, so that now i can deduce the phase difference of the reflected object beam and recreate the wave front as if it came from the object.

in optical holography this deduction of phase difference is made by illuminating the interference picture again with the laser that was used to create the picture (and at the same angle that was used).
because i use CCD, i use Fourier transform on my picture to get the same result, mathematically it should be identicle, but i don't get the 3d effect i would have gotten by using the optical method... my CCD is accurate enough, i calculated the real optical resolution considering the airy-disc size and my CCD has more then enough, so i think i lose the effect when i try to view the picture on a computer screen or a piece of paper.

nevermind, i was wrong, i don't need to print the picture i get after processing the image, i need to print the interference pattern and illuminate it with the reference ray, there are printer capable of doing it.

alternatively i can produce a picture of the object from a variaty of angles on the computer using the interfernce picture.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought from the beginning that it was the interference pattern that you were trying to print. Might I assume that you're doing it on transparencies?

Related to Digital holography - why not 3d?

1. What is digital holography and how does it differ from 3D technology?

Digital holography is a technique used to capture and display three-dimensional images. Unlike 3D technology, which relies on stereoscopic images to create the illusion of depth, digital holography uses interference patterns to record and reproduce the light waves reflected from an object. This allows for a more realistic and accurate representation of the object's appearance.

2. What are the advantages of using digital holography over 3D technology?

Digital holography offers several advantages over 3D technology, including higher resolution and more accurate representation of depth and surface features. It also allows for the capture and display of moving objects in real-time, whereas 3D technology often relies on pre-recorded footage.

3. How does digital holography work?

Digital holography involves capturing an interference pattern created by the interaction of a coherent light source with the object being imaged. This pattern is then recorded and digitally reconstructed to produce a three-dimensional image of the object. The process relies on the principles of diffraction and interference to accurately capture and reproduce the object's appearance.

4. Can digital holography be used for practical applications?

Yes, digital holography has a wide range of practical applications, such as in medical imaging, microscopy, and non-destructive testing. It is also used in security and authentication measures, as the complexity of holographic images makes them difficult to replicate or counterfeit.

5. Are there any limitations to using digital holography?

While digital holography offers many advantages, it does have some limitations. One major limitation is the requirement for a coherent light source, which can be expensive and difficult to produce. Additionally, digital holography may struggle with capturing transparent or highly reflective objects, as the interference patterns can be disrupted by these surfaces.