Writing a polynomial for this box thing

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a shaded region by using a polynomial in standard form. The confusion between area and perimeter is also addressed. The speaker expresses a need for a math dictionary to better understand mathematical terms.
ceres_sun
Could someone guide me through this? *math dummy*

Write a polynomial in standard form that models or represents the area of the shaded region.

http://www.sfu.ca/~tca19/thing.GIF

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the area of the outside box?

What is the area of the inside box?

How would you get the area of the shaded region?

|2(x-4)+2(x+3)| - |2(x+2) + 2(x+1)|

I'm actually more confused as to what a polynomial is >_> *cough*

A polynomial is a function that only involves powers of the variable x.

However, your real problem is that you are confusing "area" with "perimeter". The area of a rectangle is "length times width", lw, not 2l+ 2w. Also, since all the numbers involved are positive, there is no need for absolute value.

LOL thank you so much.

Yes, my main problem with math is that I don't know what most of the terms mean and/or confuse them with other terms...-_-

I need a math dictionary.

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can have multiple terms and can be written in different forms, such as standard form or factored form.

2. How do I write a polynomial for this box thing?

To write a polynomial for a box, you will need to identify the dimensions of the box and the variable to represent the unknown quantity. Then, you can use the formula for the volume of a box (length x width x height) to write the polynomial expression in terms of the variable.

3. Can a polynomial have more than one variable?

Yes, a polynomial can have more than one variable. An example of this is a polynomial with two variables, such as x + y. This type of polynomial is known as a binomial.

4. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent in the expression. For example, in the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2. The degree helps determine the behavior of the polynomial, such as whether it has a maximum or minimum value.

5. Can a polynomial have negative exponents?

No, a polynomial cannot have negative exponents. A polynomial must have non-negative integer exponents in order to be considered a polynomial. If a polynomial does have a negative exponent, it is not considered a polynomial but rather a rational expression.