Nuclear form factor, the graph F2(q) vs. q (fm-1)

• I
  • Thread starter Yuen
  • Start date
Yuen
TL;DR Summary
How to obtain the graph F2(q) vs. q (fm-1) from the graph F2(q2) vs. q2 (fm-2)?
In the article J. R. Ficence, ,,,, I. Sick, Phys. Lett. B 32, 460 (1970), Fig. 1, there is graph F(q) vs. q (fm-1).
In the article J. S. McCarthy, I. Sick, …, Phys. Rev. Lett. 25, 884 (1970), Fig. 1, there is graph F2(q2) vs. q2 (fm-2).

In the book Subatomic Physics (E. M Henley, A. Garcia, 3rd ed. (2007)), p. 137, it is spherically symmetric, Eq. (6.6). Since f no longer depends 0n the direction of q but only on its magnitude, it is now written as f(q2).
In the book Particles and Nuclei (P. Povh et al., 5th ed. (2006), p. 62, spherical symmetric …, the form factor only depends on the momentum transfer q. We symbolise this fact by writing the form factor as F(q2).

I think in the graph F2(q2) vs. q2 (fm-2), q2 is a dummy variable. We can just replace F2(q2) by F2(q), and q2 (fm-2) by q (fm-1).
In the book Subatomic Physics, p. 137, ‘it is now written as f(q2)’ , and the book Particles and Nuclei, p. 62, ‘We symbolize
this fact by writing the form actor as F(q2)’ are unnecessary.

Could someone please give me the answer? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In fact, In the book Subatomic Physics, p. 137, Eq. (6.6), we can just use f(q) where q is a scalar.

1. What is the nuclear form factor?

The nuclear form factor is a mathematical function that describes how a nucleus scatters off of other particles, typically electrons or photons. It provides information about the distribution of charge and magnetization within the nucleus.

2. What does the graph F2(q) vs. q (fm^-1) represent?

The graph F2(q) vs. q (fm^-1) represents the nuclear form factor as a function of the momentum transfer q in units of inverse femtometers. It shows how the scattering amplitude varies with the momentum transfer, providing insights into the internal structure of the nucleus.

3. How is the nuclear form factor experimentally determined?

The nuclear form factor is experimentally determined by measuring the differential cross-section of a nucleus scattering off of particles, such as electrons or photons, at various momentum transfers. By analyzing the scattering data, researchers can extract the nuclear form factor and study the distribution of charge and magnetization within the nucleus.

4. What information can be obtained from the nuclear form factor graph?

The nuclear form factor graph provides information about the size and shape of the nucleus, as well as the distribution of charge and magnetization within the nucleus. It can also reveal details about the nuclear forces that hold the nucleus together and the dynamics of nuclear reactions.

5. How does the nuclear form factor vary for different nuclei?

The nuclear form factor can vary significantly for different nuclei due to differences in their internal structure, such as the distribution of protons and neutrons within the nucleus. Heavier nuclei typically have larger form factors and exhibit more complex scattering patterns compared to lighter nuclei.