Explore the Chaotic Henon Attractors

• Thread starter MathAmateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chaotic
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding a fixed point for Henon Attractors and the confusion about an extra term in the solution. The solution is to plug in x_b for x_t, y_t, and x_{t+1} and then subtract x_b from both sides to get a quadratic equation. The conversation also includes a question about inserting a new line in a Latex equation, to which the answer is using the symbol \\ for a new line.
MathAmateur
1. Homework Statement

I am studying Henon Attractors. The Henon map is recursively defined as follows:

[tex]x_{t+1} = a - x^2_{t} + by_{t}
y_{t+1} = x_{t}[/tex]

I am supposed to find the fixed point (may be unstable) that is contained with the chaotic behavior

The Attempt at a Solution

It is clear that to find the fixed point would be when [tex] x_{t+1}, x_{t}, y_{t} [/tex]
are all equal (Lets call them all [tex] x_{b} [/tex]). It seemed obvious to just plug in
[tex] x_{b} [/tex] and solve the quadratic, but the book had an extra term in the answer and I do not know where it came from:
[tex] -x^2_{b} + (b-1) x_{b} +a = 0 [/tex]. Where did the -1 in the b-1 term come from?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you just plug in x_b for x_t, y_t, and x_{t+1}, then the equation you get is exactly what the book says. Do your math again.

Oh, yes, the x_{b} on the left side is subtracted from the right to make it equal to 0. Duh!

Could you now how I insert a new line in the Latex equation? I can't seem to keep those two first equations from running together.

MathAmateur said:
Oh, yes, the x_{b} on the left side is subtracted from the right to make it equal to 0. Duh!

Could you now how I insert a new line in the Latex equation? I can't seem to keep those two first equations from running together.

The latex symbol for new line is \\

I did the following and got the following result:

x_{t+1} = a - x^2_{t} + by_{t} \\
y_{t+1} = x_{t}

[tex]x_{t+1} = a - x^2_{t} + by_{t}\\
y_{t+1} = x_{t}[/tex]

1. What is a Henon attractor?

A Henon attractor is a type of chaotic system that is defined by a set of two nonlinear equations. This system was first discovered by the mathematician Michel Henon and is often used to model complex systems in physics and biology.

2. How do you explore Henon attractors?

To explore Henon attractors, you can use a computer program or software that allows you to input the two equations and plot the resulting data points. This will create a visual representation of the chaotic system and allow you to analyze its behavior and patterns.

3. What are the applications of studying Henon attractors?

Studying Henon attractors can help scientists better understand and model complex systems in nature, such as weather patterns, population dynamics, and chemical reactions. It can also be used in data encryption and signal processing.

4. How does the initial condition affect the behavior of a Henon attractor?

The initial condition, or starting point, of a Henon attractor can greatly impact its behavior. Small changes in the initial conditions can result in vastly different outcomes, making it a highly sensitive system. This is known as the butterfly effect.

5. Are there any real-life examples of Henon attractors?

Yes, Henon attractors have been observed in various natural phenomena, such as the patterns of convection cells in the Earth's atmosphere and the behavior of populations in predator-prey relationships. They have also been used to model stock market fluctuations and heart rate variability.