Do isomeric transitions have vector characteristics?

• Thread starter xander77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the behavior of gamma rays and the concept of probability waves in quantum mechanics can be confusing. When considering a single atom of Technetium 99m or any other gamma emitter, it is not possible for the emitted gamma ray to be detected in multiple places. In the case of a β+ emitter, the positron would annihilate with a nearby electron, emitting two gamma rays back to back, which can be detected in multiple places. Additionally, the behavior of scintillators in detecting single photons is based on the collapse of the photon's probability wave upon interaction with a detector, which can be affected by various factors. The emitted photon exists as a probability wave until it is detected, and it is not possible to determine
xander77
When considering a single atom of Technetium 99m, or any other gamma emitter, does the emitted gamma ray have a vector?

In other words, suppose it were possible to have just one molecule of Tc99m, and it were to decay in the middle of a room. Next suppose that two people with perfectly efficient detectors are standing on opposite sides of the molecule.

If the gamma ray is emitted toward one detector, would the other detector observe the decay as well? What if the gamma ray were emitted orthogonally to each person/detector. Would either of them observe the gamma ray/photon?

Now, suppose we consider a photoelectric event. If a NaI crystal scintillates from a single Thallium molecule, does that photon have a specific vector? Or does it radiate in a all directions in a probability wave?

Physics news on Phys.org
xander77 said:
When considering a single atom of Technetium 99m, or any other gamma emitter, does the emitted gamma ray have a vector?

I am not entirely sure what your general question is, but I have answers for your sub-questions:

xander77 said:
In other words, suppose it were possible to have just one molecule of Tc99m, and it were to decay in the middle of a room. Next suppose that two people with perfectly efficient detectors are standing on opposite sides of the molecule.

No they will not. If a nucleus emits a single gamma ray, there is just the one gamma ray, so you cannot detect it in multiple places. If it was a β+ emitter, though, the positron would annihilate with a nearby electron, emitting two gamma rays back to back, in which case if one detector saw one photon, then so would the other (with your 100% efficiency assumption). This is the basis of positron emission tomography (PET).

xander77 said:
If the gamma ray is emitted toward one detector, would the other detector observe the decay as well? What if the gamma ray were emitted orthogonally to each person/detector. Would either of them observe the gamma ray/photon?

Now, suppose we consider a photoelectric event. If a NaI crystal scintillates from a single Thallium molecule, does that photon have a specific vector? Or does it radiate in a all directions in a probability wave?

I think I see the confusion. This is really a quantum mechanics questions? If there is one photon being emitted and equal probability for it to be emitted in any direction, then the wavefunction of the emitted photon will be spherically symmetric and travel out in all directions until some "measurement" occurs (the exact definition of which is something of a fundamental issue), at which point said wavefunction collapses and the photon will end up being detected in only one place or another.

There are some extra subtleties but I think we need not go into them. Although of course, there certainly need not be equal probability for the emitted photon to go in any direction in general, there are zillions of things that could alter the symmetry of the scenario. Also if you are actually asking about how scintillators in particular behave then I haven't really answered your question.

Last edited:
>I think I see the confusion. This is really a quantum mechanics questions?

Yes, actually, but I needed to set up some background, as I was only casually aware of Schrodinger's cat and actively studying gamma emitters in nuclear medicine.

Fundamentally, my question is: Does a gamma ray also exist in a probability wave, radiating outward spherically until detected. If not, why, as it is simply shorter wavelength of the same "stuff" as light. This is what I meant by asking about "vectors" initially. Does it radiate outward in a perfectly spherical wave function until detected, or does it initially leave with a specific vector.

My initial suspicion had been the later, but I can't reconcile that with the wave function stuff.

Again, specifically for alternate energies of photon, ie gamma and xray.

You've already helped immensely, because I had forgot that the collapse of a light photon's probability wave necessarily meant it couldn't be detected anywhere else, and this was a source of confusion for me, but I still wonder if all photon radiation, ie gamma and xray also behave probabilistically.

> There are some extra subtleties but I think we need not go into them.

Might be fun :)

>Although of course, there certainly need not be equal probability for the emitted photon to go in any direction in general, there are zillions of things that could alter the symmetry of the scenario.

One thing at a time, I think, ya?

>Also if you are actually asking about how scintillators in particular behave then I haven't really answered your question.

No, thank you. I think I have a pretty good grip on them, but before your response I had wondered if it were possible for two separate pmts to pick up one probability wave from a single scintillation. I think you did help to clarify that, to my great appreciation.

I seem to understand now that when the Thallium scintillates, the emitted photon is in fact a probability wave, until it interacts with some random portion of the nearby photocathodes, somehow not yet becoming an actual photon while flying through the collimator, where it there manifests itself as a light photon, and is consequently transmuted to an electron and multiplied by the dynodes of the pmt.

We've been taught that the scintillated photons have vectors, creating scatter, striking septa, or passing through collimator holes cleanly. My classmates and instructors haven't gotten into any quantum aspects of this science, but I've been markedly curious.

Thanks again!

1. What are isomeric transitions?

Isomeric transitions refer to the process of a nucleus changing from one energy state to another. This can occur spontaneously or through the absorption or emission of energy. Isomeric transitions are important in nuclear physics and have applications in fields such as nuclear medicine.

2. How do isomeric transitions occur?

Isomeric transitions occur through the emission of photons, which carry away excess energy from the nucleus. This process can also be triggered by external factors, such as collisions with other particles or the absorption of energy from a laser or other source.

3. What are vector characteristics?

Vector characteristics refer to the properties of a quantity that can be described by both magnitude and direction. In the context of isomeric transitions, vector characteristics can refer to the direction in which the emitted photons are polarized or the direction in which the nucleus is moving after the transition.

4. Do all isomeric transitions have vector characteristics?

No, not all isomeric transitions have vector characteristics. The direction in which the emitted photons are polarized may depend on the initial and final energy states of the nucleus, but some transitions may result in unpolarized photons. Additionally, the direction in which the nucleus moves after the transition may not always be a relevant factor.

5. What is the significance of vector characteristics in isomeric transitions?

The vector characteristics of isomeric transitions can provide valuable information about the underlying nuclear processes. The polarization of emitted photons can reveal information about the spin and other properties of the nucleus, while the direction of the nucleus after the transition can provide insights into the forces acting on it. Understanding these vector characteristics can aid in the study and application of isomeric transitions.