Modeling a 2-Body Collision with Simulink

In summary, the individual is seeking information about equations or theories that incorporate a spring constant or Modulus of Elasticity in inelastic impact or collision scenarios. They also mention the use of Simulink to model a 2 body collision and inquire about pre-made elements for this purpose.
alext918
Does anyone know of any inelastic impact / collision equations or theories that somehow incorporate a spring constant or Modulus of Elasticity?

I have a problem where I need to show how changing a different material (ie. a different Elasticity) will affect the velocity after impact.

The masses are known, and one object is moving at 2 m/s right before impact and hits a stationary object.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know of any such equation - but would also be interested if one exists.
The reason I doubt the existence of such a formula is that if the Modulus of Elasticity is important in the impact, it is an elastic collision. Or, perhaps putting it a little differently; if the collision is inelastic, then the Elastic Modulus is not going to be very helpful.
For the collision to be inelastic, you need to deform the material beyond its yield point. Beyond this point the Elastic Modulus is not much use.
It is very difficult, I imagine, to meaningfully quantify the behaviour of a material in a collision when it deforms.
As I say, if there is a mathematical treatment, I would also be interested. (And surprised if it could predict the velocities after impact)

So I've found that using modulation and simulation techniques and using the program Simulink can model my problem accurately.

The issue now is that I am new to Simulink and unfamiliar with the program. I must model a 2 body collision in Simulink. Physically, I have an object hitting another object, which both in turn hit a third object.

Does anyone have or know of any premade elements to model a linear (axial), 2 mass collision? I want to couple 2 of these 2 mass collisions to model my problem. Any help is apprceiated.

Thank you!

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which some of the kinetic energy of the colliding objects is lost and is not conserved. This means that the objects stick together or deform during the collision, resulting in a decrease in overall kinetic energy.

2. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

Momentum is always conserved in an inelastic collision, meaning that the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision is the same. However, inelastic collisions do not conserve kinetic energy, so some of the momentum may be transferred into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved and some of the kinetic energy is lost, resulting in the objects sticking together or deforming.

4. How do you calculate the final velocities in an inelastic collision?

To calculate the final velocities in an inelastic collision, you can use the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)v. This equation takes into account the masses and initial velocities of the objects, as well as the final velocity after the collision.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions?

Some examples of inelastic collisions in everyday life include a car crash, a soccer ball hitting a wall and sticking to it, or a person catching a ball with their hands. In all of these scenarios, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to the objects sticking together or deforming during the collision.