Calculating Phonon Dispersion from 2D Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a 2D atomistic mass spring Hamiltonian for calculating phonon dispersion. The speaker has successfully solved the eigenvalue system and calculated the eigenvalues or phonon energy levels, but is now seeking guidance on determining the wavevector (k) and discerning transverse from longitudinal modes. One suggestion is to impose periodic boundary conditions on the lattice to determine k, while another is to use an algorithm based on the displacement and amplitude of the atoms.
karlthecar1
Hello,

I am constructing a 2d atomistic mass spring Hamiltonian with nearest neighbor bonds (harmonic potential) in an attempt of calculating the phonon dispersion. I solve the eigenvalue system and calculated the eigenvalues or phonon energy levels (y-values of dispersion). I am fine up to that point. So my question is how to correctly determine the wavevector (k) from the eigenvalue solution to plot omega vs. k/a. If I look at the mode shape (eigenvectors) for each eigenvalue can I determine the wavevector? If that is the case do I select a single atom within the lattice and look at the neighbors or do I have to do and average over all atoms? My next question is going to be how do you discern transverse from longitudinal modes. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how you implement the hamiltonian. one way is that you pick a lattice and impose periodic boundary condition on it. if you do so, you determine the k in your boundary condition and you will got several energy eigenvalues for each k you select.

If you make a hamiltonian for N*N atoms directly. then the first eigen value is for the longest phonon wavelenght and shortest possible k and the higher ones (energy eigen values) related to higher k. But it would help us if you tell how you implement hamiltonian.

It's very difficult and irrational that you try to find each wave vector by looking at the eigenvectors directly. you can make an algorithm to find it. when you have N*N atoms you will have N*N k-vector space. just as an example, K_x = (U(i+1,j) - U(i-1,j))/(2a*(U(i,j))) which is ratio of derivative of displacement U to its amplitude.

U(x) = Ae^(ikx) => d(U(x))/dx / U(x) = ik

1. How is a 2D Hamiltonian used to calculate phonon dispersion?

A 2D Hamiltonian is a mathematical representation of the energy levels and interactions between particles in a two-dimensional system. By solving the equations of motion for this system, the phonon dispersion can be calculated, which describes the relationship between the energy and momentum of phonons (quanta of lattice vibrations) in the material.

2. What are the key factors that affect phonon dispersion in a 2D material?

The key factors that affect phonon dispersion in a 2D material are the composition and structure of the material, as well as the strength of the interactions between particles. These factors determine the energy levels and interactions in the 2D Hamiltonian, which ultimately determine the phonon dispersion.

3. How do you calculate the phonon dispersion from a 2D Hamiltonian?

To calculate the phonon dispersion from a 2D Hamiltonian, you must first solve the equations of motion for the system using mathematical methods such as perturbation theory or numerical simulations. This will yield the energy levels and interactions between particles, which can then be used to calculate the phonon dispersion using equations and algorithms specific to the system.

4. Why is it important to calculate phonon dispersion from a 2D Hamiltonian?

Calculating phonon dispersion from a 2D Hamiltonian is important because it provides essential information about the thermal and mechanical properties of 2D materials. This information is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of these materials in various applications, such as in electronic devices or for energy storage.

5. What are the limitations of using a 2D Hamiltonian to calculate phonon dispersion?

One limitation of using a 2D Hamiltonian to calculate phonon dispersion is that it assumes a perfect, two-dimensional system with no defects or impurities. In reality, most materials have imperfections that can affect the phonon dispersion. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculated phonon dispersion depends on the complexity of the system and the chosen mathematical methods used to solve the equations of motion.