Carl Sagan's "Contact": Read or Watch the Film for a Religion vs. Science Debate

• Thread starter pitot-tube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contact
In summary, "Contact" by Carl Sagan is a novel that explores the debate between religion and science. It was turned into a film starring Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughey, which received mixed reviews. Some people found the movie inspiring, while others thought it had a weak and unrealistic ending. The book is considered to be better than the film and has a different, more thought-provoking ending. Overall, opinions are divided on whether "Contact" is a worthwhile read or watch.
pitot-tube
"contact" by carl sagan

I hear they are showing Cosmos by carl sagan again on tv but something else of carl sagan's worth knowing about is his novel "contact".
If you don't have time to read the book watch the film staring Jodie Foster and Mathew McConnaughey - it is awesome, and the best film I have ever seen that deals with the religion versus science debate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ewwwugh. Contact was O.K. You should watch more movies then!

Contact is one of those rare movies that inspired people more, rather than entertained.

I watched Contact back when I was a kid. Only vaguely remember the science vs. religion issue. Too bad, since these days studying religion is basically my full-time hobby outside of physics. I guess as a fourteen year old I was more interested in the whole spaceship blowing up on the launchpad part.

So who won? God, or the sons of man? :rofl:

I didn't like the movie at all. It tried to address a real situation using a very unrealistic scenario. Also, the ending was incredibly lame.

I liked the movie, the book was excellent

I think the space odyssey series was even better

Contrapositive said:
I didn't like the movie at all. It tried to address a real situation using a very unrealistic scenario. Also, the ending was incredibly lame.

The book is much better than the movie. And it has a much better ending.
The original version of the film used the same ending as the book, but was changed before the official release since the test audiences were complaining (the "real" ending is more "anti-belief")

I never read the book but I loved the movie.

Best lines:
They should have sent a poet.
Why build one when you can build two for twice the price?
Wanna take a ride??!

1. What is the main theme of "Contact"?

The main theme of "Contact" is the debate between religion and science, specifically the search for extraterrestrial life and how it relates to faith and belief in a higher power.

2. Is "Contact" based on a true story?

No, "Contact" is a work of fiction written by Carl Sagan.

3. Can the film "Contact" be used as a tool for discussing religion and science?

Yes, the film "Contact" can be used as a tool for discussing the relationship between religion and science, as it presents both perspectives and encourages critical thinking and open-mindedness.

4. How does "Contact" portray the clash between religion and science?

"Contact" portrays the clash between religion and science by presenting both sides of the debate through the characters of Ellie Arroway, a scientist, and Palmer Joss, a religious leader. The film also explores the idea of faith and how it can coexist with scientific reasoning.

5. Is "Contact" a film or a book?

"Contact" is both a film and a book. It was originally written by Carl Sagan as a novel, and was later adapted into a film directed by Robert Zemeckis.