Quantized Vortices in Superfluid Rotation

This expression allows you to predict the number of vortices that will form in the superfluid He-4 at different rotational rates of the container. In summary, to find the number of quantized vortices created in superfluid He-4 when a container of radius R is rotated at angular velocity ω, you can use the vortex density equation: Vortex Density = (2*m*R*ω)/(hbar*n).
Astrofiend
I am trying to derive an expression for the number of quantized vortices created in superfluid He-4 when a container of radius R is rotated at angular velocity 'omega'.

I have completed an earlier part of the question, whereby I showed that the velocity of the superfluid as a function of r was v(r) = (n*hbar)/(m*r), where n is an integer, m is the mass of a helium 4 atom and r is the radial distance from the vortex core, when the container was rotated at just enough angular velocity to produce a single vortex. I'm not sure if this is related, but thought I'd slip it in. At higher rotational rates, the vortex breaks up and forms a number of smaller vortices based upon the rotational velocity of the container - and I need to find an expression that predicts this amount (with a few simplifying assumptions).

I have no idea how to go about this though or what the expression may end up looking like - and I've been dwelling on it for a long time! Any helping hands, pointers in the right direction, hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am at a complete loss!

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression you are looking for is called the "vortex density". It is defined as the number of vortices per unit area and can be calculated using the equation: Vortex Density = (2*m*R*ω)/(hbar*n) where m is the mass of a helium 4 atom, R is the radius of the container, ω is the angular velocity of the container, n is an integer, and hbar is the reduced Planck constant.

What are quantized vortices in superfluid rotation?

Quantized vortices are topological defects that form in a superfluid when it is rotated. They are essentially whirlpools of rotating superfluid that have a quantized circulation, meaning that the amount of fluid flowing around the vortex is a multiple of a fundamental unit of circulation.

How do quantized vortices form in a superfluid?

Quantized vortices form in a superfluid when it is rotated above a critical velocity, known as the "critical velocity of superfluidity". This occurs because the rotation of the fluid causes it to develop a gradient in velocity, which leads to the formation of vortices.

What are the properties of quantized vortices?

Quantized vortices have some unique properties, including their quantized circulation, which is a fundamental property of superfluids. They also have a core region where the fluid density is significantly reduced, and their motion is described by the laws of quantum mechanics rather than classical mechanics.

What are some applications of quantized vortices in superfluid rotation?

Quantized vortices have been studied extensively in the field of quantum fluids and have a wide range of applications. They are used to study the dynamics of superfluids, as well as in the development of superconductors and quantum computing. They also have potential applications in the study of astrophysical phenomena, such as neutron stars and black holes.

How are quantized vortices studied and observed?

Quantized vortices are observed and studied using various experimental techniques, including visualizing the motion of superfluids using lasers and analyzing the flow patterns of the fluid. They can also be studied theoretically using mathematical models and simulations.