Optimizing Copper Absorber Depth for Beta Spectra Simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a way to simulate a beta decay spectrum in C++ using the Fermi function and the hit or miss method. The recommendation is to make the acceptance probability one for the peak of the Fermi function to ensure correct spectrum results.
echaniot
Hello, I am interested in computing the optimal depth of a copper absorber for Sr-90 decay electrons.
I want to find a way to simulate a beta decay spectrum in C++.
Have you got any idea or possible documentation on where I could start??
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
With the Fermi function?
It is a 1-dimensional, well-behaved function, drawing numbers from a uniform distribution and keeping them with a probability proportional to the Fermi function should work.

Just in case OP is not familiar with the hit or miss method: Do try to make the acceptance probability one for the peak of the Fermi function. Anything larger and your spectrum will not be correct, anything smaller and you will have a lower acceptance rate. An alternative is weighting the samples according to the Fermi function, but this will not give as dense sampling in the peak as you might like.

Related to Optimizing Copper Absorber Depth for Beta Spectra Simulation

1. What is a beta spectrum?

A beta spectrum is a plot of the energy distribution of beta particles emitted from a radioactive source.

2. How can I simulate a beta spectrum?

To simulate a beta spectrum, you will need to use a Monte Carlo simulation program, which uses random numbers to simulate the behavior of particles in a given physical system.

3. What factors affect the shape of a beta spectrum?

The shape of a beta spectrum is primarily affected by the type of radioactive source, the decay energy, and the detector used to measure the spectrum.

4. What is the purpose of simulating a beta spectrum?

Simulating a beta spectrum allows scientists to predict and understand the behavior of beta particles in different physical systems, which is important for applications in radiation detection and medical imaging.

5. How accurate are simulations of beta spectra?

The accuracy of a simulation depends on the parameters and assumptions used in the simulation. Generally, simulations can provide a good approximation of the behavior of beta particles, but experimental validation is still necessary for precise measurements.