Why permeability equal to unity?

In summary, the discussion revolves around the assumption of a permeability equal to 1 in dielectric materials. This assumption is justified by the small difference in permeability (generally only a few thousandths of 1%) in most dielectrics compared to the permeability of free space. This is based on the relative permeability in SI or the permeability in the gaussian system of units, both of which are 1 in most dielectrics.
iLIKEstuff
I apologize if this is not in the correct section of the forum, but it seems most fitting.

In the context of dielectric materials, I am having trouble understanding why in the discussion of the optical properties of magnetized bodies, it is justifiable to assume for light vibrations, permeability = 1.

I have read several texts stating that this is an assumption but I do not understand the physical basis of making such an assumption. One texts simply states, "The reason for this is not that the magnetization of a body cannot follow the rapid changes of field which occur in light vibrations, but is far more complicated." and then follows with some daunting deriviations of equations describing the EM field in a dielectric body. It also states that "in dielectrics, permeability differs so little from 1 (generally only a few thousandths of 1%) that in what follows it will always be considered equal to 1."

I know that the permeability of free space is 4*pi*10^-7 = 1.2566*10^-6 N/A^2 (SI units) and that free space (vacuum) is a dielectric. So, where are they getting "permeability differs so little from 1"
Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
They are either talking about the relative permeability (mu/muzero) in SI or the permeability
in the gaussian system of units, each of which is 1 in most dielectrics.
You wrote "the permeability of free space is 4*pi*10^-7 = 1.2566*10^-6 N/A^2 (SI units)".
[tex]\mu_0/4\pi=10^{-7}[/tex] is not an experimental number. It would equal 1 in emu (cgs) units. Its value in SI comes about because SI uses mks, and the SI ampere was taken to be equal to 0.1 abamperes

Thank you for bringing up this question regarding the assumption of permeability equal to unity in the discussion of optical properties of magnetized bodies. I can understand your confusion and would like to provide some insights on this topic.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that this assumption is specific to dielectric materials, which have different properties compared to free space or vacuum. In dielectrics, the permeability is a complex quantity that depends on the frequency of the electromagnetic field. Therefore, it is not a constant value like in free space. However, at optical frequencies, the changes in permeability for dielectric materials are very small, typically on the order of a few thousandths of 1%. This is why it is often considered to be equal to 1 in discussions of optical properties.

To understand the physical basis of this assumption, we need to look at the microscopic behavior of the electrons in a dielectric material. In the presence of an electromagnetic field, the electrons in the material will experience a force and start to oscillate. These oscillations contribute to the overall response of the material to the electromagnetic field. However, at optical frequencies, the oscillations of the electrons are not fast enough to keep up with the rapidly changing field, and thus their contribution to the permeability is negligible. This is why it is justified to assume permeability equal to unity in the context of optical properties of dielectric materials.

I hope this helps to clarify the reasoning behind this assumption. It is important to note that this is a simplification and may not hold true for all dielectric materials or at all frequencies. It is always best to consider the specific properties of the material in question when studying its optical properties.

Best regards,

1. Why is permeability equal to unity?

Permeability is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized. A value of unity means that the material has the same magnetic properties as a vacuum or free space. This value is used as a reference point for comparison with other materials.

2. How is permeability determined to be equal to unity?

The value of permeability equal to unity is determined experimentally by measuring the magnetic field produced by a known current in the material. This value is then compared to the magnetic field produced by the same current in a vacuum. If they are equal, the material has a permeability equal to unity.

3. What does it mean for a material to have permeability equal to unity?

A material with permeability equal to unity has no effect on the strength of a magnetic field passing through it. This means that the material will not be attracted or repelled by magnets and will not distort or redirect magnetic fields passing through it.

4. Can a material have a permeability greater than unity?

Yes, some materials can have a permeability greater than unity. These materials are known as "ferromagnetic" and are used in the construction of magnets and other magnetic devices. They have a higher permeability than free space, which allows them to amplify and concentrate magnetic fields.

5. Why is permeability equal to unity important in scientific research?

Permeability equal to unity is important in scientific research because it allows for accurate comparison and measurement of the magnetic properties of different materials. It also helps to establish a reference point for understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic fields in different environments.