USing Series solutions to solve DE (please check my work, thanks)

In summary, the homework statement is to solve the differential equation using power series. The attempt at a solution is to find y in terms of c_nx^n. The solution is y = [sum from n=0 to n=infinity]c_n x^n.
darryw

Homework Statement

solve the DE using power series about x_0 = 0

y'' + xy' + 2y = 0

so, i want a solution in form of y = [sum from n=0 to n=infinity]c_n x^n

(i hope this makes sense, i don't know how to get summation symbol)

y = [sum from n=0 to n=infinity]c_n x^n

y' = [sum from n=0 to n=infinity]nc_n x^(n-1)

y'' = [sum from n=0 to n=infinity](n-1)n c_n x^(n-2)

then plug these values into DE..
i just need to know if i am correct so far..then i will proceed..thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
darryw said:

Homework Statement

solve the DE using power series about x_0 = 0

y'' + xy' + 2y = 0

so, i want a solution in form of y = [sum from n=0 to n=infinity]c_n x^n

(i hope this makes sense, i don't know how to get summation symbol)

Click on the [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] image below to see the code that generated it:

[tex]y(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n x^n[/tex]

And also take a look at my sig:wink:

y = [sum from n=0 to n=infinity]c_n x^n

y' = [sum from n=0 to n=infinity]nc_n x^(n-1)

y'' = [sum from n=0 to n=infinity](n-1)n c_n x^(n-2)

then plug these values into DE..
i just need to know if i am correct so far..then i will proceed..thanks

Looks fine so far...

I don't understand latex at all.
I enter the exact same code and it gives me two different versions of it..

heres my example.. i want it to read x to the power of (n-1). (please look at the code)

[tex]x^n-1[/tex] (1)

so then i change it so that there's a hat after minus sign and a hat after 1,and it gives me desired symbols.

[tex]x^n^-^1[/tex] (2)

but then when i copy and paste (2) it reverts back to (1) even though it has the code for (2)
[tex]x^n^-^1[/tex] (3)

please click on the code to see what I am talking about.

I totally don't understand the logic of this.. please help.. totally new to latex. thanksEDIT: OK so i noticed that as i submitted reply it modified the code. So is previewing latex unreliable or something? ??

So just to clarify, when i was previewing the message, (3) looked just like (1) even though it had the code for (2). That sounds kinda weird but that is what was happening.. why?

Just put your entire exponent (or subscript) inside curly brackets...i.e. x^{n-1} comes up as [itex]x^{n-1}[/itex]. Also, the images won't always appear properly on your screen when you preview/post them even if you've typed the code in correctly...just hit the refresh button once to see if it comes up properly.

OK I've been doing some experimenting and noticed that when i preview a latex image, for some reason it shows the previous latex image rather than the one I am trying to preview. Is this normal?
for example, when i initially tried to preview the image below, it previewed x to the power of (n-1). But when i clicked submit, it shows the correct image.
?

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n x^n^-^1
[/tex]

ok thanks gabbag, ill try refresh

[tex]
y(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n x^n
[/tex]

[tex]
y'(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} nc_n x^{n-1}
[/tex]

[tex]
y''(x)=\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} (n-1)nc_n x^{n-2}
[/tex]

but before i insert into DE, I want all the indices (is that right word?) to match (so they all go from n=0 to infinity) so i modifiy y' and y'' to get the following:

[tex]
y'(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} nc_n x^{n-1}
[/tex]
=[tex]
=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)c_{n+1} x^{n}
[/tex]

[tex]
y''(x)=\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} (n-1)nc_n x^{n-2}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2} x^{n}
[/tex]

then, inserting into y'' + xy' + 2y = 0, i get..

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2} x^{n} + (x) \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)c_{n+1} x^{n}
+ (2) \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n x^n = 0
[/tex]

combining sums and factoring out the x^n...

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n [(n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2} + (x) (n+1)c_{n+1}
+ 2c_n] = 0
[/tex]

is this correct so far?? If so, i don't know what to do with the lone x still in the brackets. Thanks for any help

Last edited:
wow latex makes it look so much nicer.. and easier to read!

Careful, if [itex]n\to n+1[/itex], then [itex]c_n\to c_{n+1}[/itex]

[tex]y'(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} nc_n x^{n-1}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)c_{n+1} x^{n}[/tex]

And similar results apply to [itex]y''(x)[/itex]

I edited my post #7 to reflect the changes to C_n
IS it OK now? thanks

darryw said:
combining sums and factoring out the x^n...

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n [(n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2} + (x) (n+1)c_{n+1}
+ 2c_n] = 0
[/tex]

is this correct so far?? If so, i don't know what to do with the lone x still in the brackets. Thanks for any help

Looks good to me... now use the fact that [itex]a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+\ldots[/itex] can only be zero for all [itex]x[/itex], if all the [itex]a_n[/itex] are zero.

thanks but could you elaborate a little bit on that? I think its the taylor expansion that is confusing me.. As I understand it, i thought everything in the brackets must = 0, so i would solve that equation and find what C_n is, and that is the recursive relation right?
if so, then how does that a_0 + a_1x etc fit into this?? thanks

Is this valid thing i can do to the middle term
[tex]
(x) \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)c_{n+1} x^{n}

= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)c_{n+1} x^{n+1}

= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n)c_{n+1} x^{n}
[/tex]

?

that way i can get rid of the lone x.

darryw said:
Is this valid thing i can do to the middle term
[tex]
(x) \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)c_{n+1} x^{n}

= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)c_{n+1} x^{n+1}

= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n)c_{n+1} x^{n}
[/tex]

?

that way i can get rid of the lone x.

Your first step is correct, but

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)c_{n+1} x^{n+1}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} nc_{n} x^{n}\neq \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n)c_{n+1} x^{n}[/tex]

you saw x at start of equality though, right?

please disregard last post...
I am confused about how the subscript of the constant relates to coefficient of constant and the powers of x.
thanks

darryw said:
please disregard last post...
I am confused about how the subscript of the constant relates to coefficient of constant and the powers of x.
thanks

just plug in numbers for "n" (aka expand each sum)

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)c_{n+1} x^{n+1}=c_1x+2c_2x^2+3c_3x^3+\ldots[/tex]

and

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} nc_{n} x^{n}=c_1x+2c_2x^2+3c_3x^3+\ldots[/tex]

so, [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)c_{n+1} x^{n+1}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} nc_{n} x^{n}[/tex]

Or am I misunderstanding your question?

OK so after the last correction I am left with:

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n [(n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2} + nc_n + 2c_n] = 0
[/tex]

so next i should solve this equation: [tex] (n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2} + nc_n + 2c_n = 0
[/tex] for [tex]c_{n+2}[/tex], correct?
thanks

that was kinda my question, but its small thing actually i think i understand that pasrt now.
but am i proceeding correctly so far (up to post #18) ? that is, next i should solve for c_n+2 ?

darryw said:
OK so after the last correction I am left with:

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n [(n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2} + nc_n + 2c_n] = 0
[/tex]

That's not quite correct. The summation in you middle term start at one, not zero. So, you should have:

[tex]\begin{aligned}0 &= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n [(n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2} + 2c_n]+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}nc_nx^n \\ &= 2c_2+2c_0+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x^n [(n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2}+nc_n + 2c_n]
\end{alinged}[/tex]

OK I see what you were saying s few posts ago then..
but given that one of the terms starts at n=1, wouldn't it have been better to just leave the middle term in form [tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)c_{n+1} x^{n+1}[/tex]

i mean, if i change it to n=1, then that means i have to change the other 2 terms to match, right?

darryw said:
OK I see what you were saying s few posts ago then..
but given that one of the terms starts at n=1, wouldn't it have been better to just leave the middle term in form [tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)c_{n+1} x^{n+1}[/tex]

But then your sum would have terms with both [itex]x^n[/itex] and [itex]x^{n+1}[/itex] in it and you wouldn't simply be able to compare coefficients.

i mean, if i change it to n=1, then that means i have to change the other 2 terms to match, right?

Not necessarily, you can just take out the n=0 term:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^n=a_0+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_nx^n[/tex]

Which is exactly what I did in my last post (that's where the [itex]2c_0+2c_2[/itex] came from).

do u think there is there a mistake on this page of lecture? he never changes it to n=1.
(no big deal if u don't want to look at this) thanks

Attachments

• lecturepg39.pdf
    52.2 KB · Views: 206
Yeah, there's definitely an error in that lecture.

OK so [tex]
[(n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2}+nc_n + 2c_n] = 0 [/tex]
and solve for c_n+2, correct?
if that is right, why solve for c_n+2? (why not c_n or c_n+1 for that matter?)

thanks for looking at the notes

darryw said:
OK so [tex]
[(n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2}+nc_n + 2c_n] = 0 [/tex]
and solve for c_n+2, correct?

Right. This is your recursion relationship. It tells you that [itex]c_2=-c_0[/itex] and [itex]c_3=-\frac{1}{2}c_1[/itex], [itex]c_4=-\frac{1}{3}c_2=\frac{1}{3}c_0[/itex] and so on...

Also, after looking again, there is no harm in saying that [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}nc_nx^n=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nc_nx^n[/itex], since the n=0 term is zero anyways. Your lecture is actually fine.

Im going to come back to this in couple hours.. Thanks a lot for all the excellent help gabbag..

Can someone please clarify something for me?
i found out that c_n+2 = -c_n / (n+1)
Is this called the "recursion relation"? also, i got a bunch of values for c_2 and c_3 and c_4 etc, by just plugging in values for n.

but how do these values equate to y = c_0 (1-x^2 + x^4/3 - x^6/5*3 + ...)

i mean what are the steps to put in in this form??
thanks for any help

Well, you can express all of the odd coefficients in terms of [itex]c_1[/itex] and all the even coefficients in terms of [itex]c_0[/itex]...so you can split your sum into two (even and odd terms) and factor out [itex]c_0[/itex] from the evn sum and [itex]c_1[/itex] from the odd one...

Related to USing Series solutions to solve DE (please check my work, thanks)

1. How do series solutions help in solving differential equations?

Series solutions are a powerful mathematical tool that can be used to solve differential equations. They involve representing the solution of a differential equation as an infinite series of terms, which can then be manipulated and simplified to find the exact solution.

2. What types of differential equations can be solved using series solutions?

Series solutions can be used to solve a wide range of differential equations, including linear and nonlinear equations, ordinary and partial differential equations, and equations with variable coefficients.

3. What are the advantages of using series solutions over other methods of solving differential equations?

Series solutions offer several advantages over other methods of solving differential equations. They can provide exact solutions, rather than just approximations, and they can be used to solve complex equations that may be difficult to solve using other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using series solutions for solving differential equations?

While series solutions are a powerful tool, they do have some limitations. They may not always converge to a solution, and even when they do, the series may be difficult to manipulate and simplify. Additionally, they may not be suitable for solving equations with discontinuous or singular points.

5. How can I check if my series solution is correct?

To check the correctness of a series solution, you can substitute it back into the original differential equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also compare your solution to known solutions or use numerical methods to verify the accuracy of the series solution.