Figuring Out Wattage of My Laptop - Mark's Query

In summary, the conversation discusses the power consumption of a laptop and the calculation of watts per hour. The speaker mentions that the laptop may not constantly consume 4.62 amps and that the power brick's efficiency should also be taken into account, which could result in a total power of around 100.1 watts.
barneygumble742
hi,

the attached image is from the back of my laptop.

i'm trying to figure out how much watts it consumes per hour.

i know that power is current multiplied by volts. so its 90.09 watts = 4.62 amps * 19.5 volts. is this the watts per hour?

thanks,
mark

Attachments

• label.JPG
    label.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 441
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but the 4.62 amps may be what it takes to run the laptop as well as charge a low battery. It may not take this much current all of the time. Once the battery is charged current consumption probably drops off.

"...is this the watts per hour?"

This is the amount of power consumed. The energy from 90 watts for one hour is 90 watt-hours; for two hours is 180 watt-hours.

And you have to take in account the efficiency of the power brick, usually in the range of 90%, so the total power will be around 100.1 W

Related to Figuring Out Wattage of My Laptop - Mark's Query

1. How do I figure out the wattage of my laptop?

The wattage of a laptop can usually be found on the laptop's power adapter. It is typically listed as "Output" and may be expressed in watts (W) or volts (V) and amps (A). If you are unable to locate this information, you can also check the laptop's user manual or contact the manufacturer for assistance.

2. Why is it important to know the wattage of my laptop?

Knowing the wattage of your laptop is important because it helps you determine the amount of power it consumes and the type of power supply it requires. This information is useful when purchasing a replacement power adapter or when determining if your laptop can be powered by a portable battery pack.

3. Can I use a power adapter with a different wattage than my laptop's original adapter?

It is generally recommended to only use a power adapter with the same wattage as your laptop's original adapter. Using a power adapter with a higher wattage may cause damage to your laptop, while using one with a lower wattage may not provide enough power for your laptop to function properly.

4. How does the wattage of my laptop affect its performance?

The wattage of your laptop does not directly affect its performance. However, a higher wattage power adapter may be able to provide more power for your laptop to use, potentially leading to better performance. Additionally, using a lower wattage power adapter may cause your laptop to not perform at its full potential.

5. Can I upgrade the wattage of my laptop's power adapter?

It is not recommended to upgrade the wattage of your laptop's power adapter unless specifically recommended by the manufacturer. Doing so may cause damage to your laptop and void its warranty. If you need more power for your laptop, consider using a portable battery pack instead.