Calculating Weight and Velocity on a Circular Track: Formulas and Examples

• Thread starter physics-dummy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the first problem involves calculating weight on a round asteroid with given diameter and mass, using Newton's law of gravitation. The second problem involves finding the magnitude of velocity for a 100 kg car moving at a steady speed on a circular track, with given radius and centripetal acceleration. Converting units is necessary for the second problem.
physics-dummy

Homework Statement

:

#1. You are walking on a perfectly round asteroidwith a diameter of 40km and a mass of 10 to the 16th kg. your mass is 60kg. how much will you weigh, in Newtons?

#2 a 100 kg porshe is moving at a steady speed around a cicular track waith a 1000 m radius. The porshe's centripedal acceleration is 5 m/s squared. What is teh magnitude of its velocity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a=v squared/r but it doesn't include the mass so i didn't think it's right and I've looked through all my notes and can't find a formula for the second one. For the first one I'm lost cause f=ma don't work. any help i would be grateful for, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track for the second one, and you don't need the mass. On the first one look up Newton's law of gravitation.

thank you very much. after i get 71 for the second answer how do i change it into km/hr

Put units on things, ok? If you got 71m/sec and you really want to convert to km/hr, then 1m=km/1000 and 1sec=hr/3600. Now what? Units are your friends, they help you from being confused.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is the purpose of "Just need the formulas please"?

The purpose of "Just need the formulas please" is to request the specific formulas needed for a scientific calculation or experiment.

2. Can you provide the formulas for [specific topic/subject]?

Yes, as a scientist, I have a vast knowledge of formulas and can provide the ones needed for a specific topic or subject.

3. How do I know if the formulas provided are accurate and reliable?

The accuracy and reliability of a formula can be determined by its source and by testing it through experiments or calculations. It is important to cite the source of the formula and to double-check its results to ensure its accuracy.

4. Are there any precautions to take when using formulas?

Yes, it is important to use the correct units and follow the proper order of operations when using formulas. It is also crucial to understand the assumptions and limitations of the formula and to use it in the appropriate context.

5. Can formulas be modified or customized for specific situations?

Yes, formulas can be modified or customized to fit specific situations, as long as the basic principles and concepts of the formula are not compromised. This can be done by adjusting variables, adding or subtracting components, or utilizing different units of measurement.