Purchasing Prescription Drugs from Canada

In summary: This is without insurance. So, even if the drug is the same quality and prescribed by the same doctor, the patient is paying a HUGE difference in price.
Dennis4
According to the FDA, this is technically illegal, but millions of Americans do it, and some state governments, and a Senator, subsidizes this practice. The FDA and George W. Bush falsely scare us by saying the drugs may be unsafe, but Canada is a First World country and everything is safe, esp. since it is drugs Canada pharmacies have imported from American drug companies to being with. Also, the FDA stops some medicine shipments from entering the country, and detained an American bus full of American senior citizens coming into U.S.A from Canada with drugs they bought up there.

Are American pharmacies and drug companies ripping us off with huge markups? Should politicians do anything about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.fda.gov/ola/2003/canadian0612.html

Right now people only have themselves to blame if they purchase Canadian (or from god knows where) drugs and they are faulty.

Another thing is that most drug companies aren't making a huge amount of profit from their drugs. If the price was set at Canadian prices everywhere in the world, all of these companies would go bankrupt. While it is not fair, Americans seem to pick up the burden of paying the most for subscription drugs. I think, if anything, they should lower the prices here and force the prices up in other countries. I'm sure there's some politics involved with that, so it probably won't happen :grumpy:.

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisW said:
http://www.fda.gov/ola/2003/canadian0612.html

Right now people only have themselves to blame if they purchase Canadian (or from god knows where) drugs and they are faulty.

But Canadian drugs are not faulty. Canada is not Mexico: it's a first world nation. All government approved Canadian drug companies are as good as American ones. Actually, compared to other first world countries, the American standards are lower: think of how animals are screened better for mad cow disease in Canda/Europe/Japan than in the U.S.A.

The FDA can easily approve Canadian drugs as safe, like they do with other imported foods, but they purposely don't because the FDA are not on the government payroll: they get their paychecks directly from the drug companies - it's true, there was a PBS special on this. So, why would the FDA turn on the hands that feed them? The FDA's fake accusations against Canadian drug companies are just meant to keep their bosses happy: the American drug companies, who benefit from us paying very high prices.

Another thing is that most drug companies aren't making a huge amount of profit from their drugs.

Can you prove this with figures? How much wealth does the CEOs and upper management of drug companies have?

If the price was set at Canadian prices everywhere in the world, all of these companies would go bankrupt.

If I can see the figures, I might believe this.

While it is not fair, Americans seem to pick up the burden of paying the most for subscription drugs. I think, if anything, they should lower the prices here and force the prices up in other countries. I'm sure there's some politics involved with that, so it probably won't happen :grumpy:.

Are the American drug companies selling their drugs at a cheaper price to Canadian pharmacies than to American pharmacies?

Here is some data on FDA/drug company activities that some may argue are unethical: http://clarkhoward.com/library/tips/prescription_costs.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I don't even like the fact that doctors have to prescribe a drug for one to legally acquire it. Rather, I think seeing a physician should be optional but extremely highly recommended to avoid possible injury or death; but I don't think it should be legally required.

Dennis4 said:
Personally, I don't even like the fact that doctors have to prescribe a drug for one to legally acquire it. Rather, I think seeing a physician should be optional but extremely highly recommended to avoid possible injury or death; but I don't think it should be legally required.

For stuff like Antibiotics, I agree. It's annoying to have to make the appointment, which you have 30 seconds of actual contact with the doctor. That's while they're filling out the prescription sheet. It takes much more time getting your insurance information squared away. The only thing the doctor considers is your healthiness (which you know) and your allergies (which he/she knows only based on what you tell them! If you know your allegies, then why can't the packaging/instructions tell you not to take them. But the doctor needs to be the middle man so he can collect his free money!

It's not necessarily the drug companies that are marking up the costs, unless it's a new name brand. The pharmacies are cashing in huge profits from consumers. For example: A generic anti-depressant many take costs over $34.00 for 30 days at one pharmacy, another pharmacy charges less then $6.00 for the same amount.

There are two many stupid people in the world that cannot be allowed to self medicate. Some antibiotics work for some infections and not so well for others, knowing which antibiotic your particular infection requires is something most people wouldn't know or take the time to find out. If you have a virus, antibiotics won't work. Then if you're taking other medications, you have to know if you can't take certain medicines together.

The pharmaceutical companies are allowed to recoup expenses for the research they do. I for one am glad that these companies are doing the research and coming up with new drugs.

So no, those companies are not "ripping us off".

But Evo, there was a ... PBS special on it! :D

And self-medicating is fine, just look at me...

*watches left arm fall off*

Pengwuino said:
But Evo, there was a ... PBS special on it! :D

And self-medicating is fine, just look at me...

*watches left arm fall off*
:rofl: You know they have a medication for that. :wink:

edit: On second thought, I should be all for letting people self medicate, I'm sure quite a few would get Darwin awards. But, more likely they will just harm themselves enough that they become a burden to society.

It's a shame that we all have to suffer for the stupidity of others, but that's the way it is.

Last edited:
Evo said:
There are two many stupid people in the world that cannot be allowed to self medicate. Some antibiotics work for some infections and not so well for others, knowing which antibiotic your particular infection requires is something most people wouldn't know or take the time to find out. If you have a virus, antibiotics won't work. Then if you're taking other medications, you have to know if you can't take certain medicines together.

The pharmaceutical companies are allowed to recoup expenses for the research they do. I for one am glad that these companies are doing the research and coming up with new drugs.

So no, those companies are not "ripping us off".

I agree with everything Evo said here. In addition, much of the profit from pharmaceuticals goes right back into R&D for new pharmaceuticals. It also covers the cost of products that never made it to market, such as a drug that looked promising until clinical trials resulted in deaths.

Whoever made the argument regarding Mad Cow testing, that's not under FDA jurisdiction, that's USDA.

Pharmaceutical companies also have only a short time during which they can recoup their costs of development on a new drug before they have to deal with competition from generic manufacturers. It's really hard for them to compete at that point because the generic manufacturers don't have to spend all the time and money on R&D, they just take what's already available and mass produce more of it, so they can charge far less.

Edit: I should also add that pharmaceutical companies aren't charities. They are in business, and it's a tough one to balance ethics about making medicince available and ensuring their bottom line includes enough profits to continue operating and to retain valuable employees with competitive salaries. For all the headaches those companies have to deal with along the regulatory process, I wouldn't deny some of their top execs a cushy salary.

Last edited:

1. Is it legal to purchase prescription drugs from Canada?

The legality of purchasing prescription drugs from Canada depends on several factors, including the specific drug being purchased, the intended use of the drug, and the regulations in both Canada and the country where the drug will be used. In general, it is legal for individuals to purchase a 3-month supply of prescription drugs from Canada for personal use, but it is important to research and understand the laws and regulations before making a purchase.

2. Are prescription drugs from Canada safe?

In Canada, prescription drugs are regulated by Health Canada, which has strict standards for safety and quality. However, it is important to note that not all countries have the same regulations, so it is crucial to research the specific drug and manufacturer before making a purchase. Additionally, purchasing from a reputable and licensed online pharmacy can help ensure the safety of the medication.

3. How can I be sure I am getting the correct medication?

When purchasing prescription drugs from Canada, it is important to have a valid prescription from a licensed healthcare provider. This ensures that the medication is appropriate for your specific condition and that you are receiving the correct dosage. It is also important to verify the medication with a licensed pharmacist before taking it.

4. Can I save money by purchasing prescription drugs from Canada?

In some cases, purchasing prescription drugs from Canada may be less expensive than purchasing them in the United States or other countries. However, this is not always the case, and it is important to compare prices and factor in shipping costs before making a purchase. Additionally, some insurance plans may not cover prescription drugs purchased from outside the country.

5. Are there any risks associated with purchasing prescription drugs from Canada?

There are some potential risks associated with purchasing prescription drugs from Canada, including receiving counterfeit or expired medication, facing legal consequences if the medication is not allowed in your country, and not having access to proper medical support or follow-up care. It is important to thoroughly research and understand these risks before making a purchase.