Who are the potential candidates for the 2006 Abel Prize?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing potential candidates for the Abel Prize and whether it should focus on older, established mathematicians or younger, up-and-coming ones. One person suggests that the prize should target the poor, while another argues that mathematicians, regardless of age, deserve recognition and financial support. It is also mentioned that the Abel Prize distinguishes itself from the Fields Medal by rewarding lifetime achievements rather than singular accomplishments.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
who do you think are respectable candidates for this year?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since the Abel prize is relatively new, and the committe behind it wishes to establish a high, sought-after reputation, I expect that the trend from the last awards will continue:

Find a hoary, old mathematician whose achievements are indisputable and who is deserving of a few extra millions.

well, i believe that the poor are in need for the extra millions and not some old mathematical geezer.
but that's my opinion, although be it radical.

loop quantum gravity said:
well, i believe that the poor are in need for the extra millions and not some old mathematical geezer.
:rofl:

I (almost) agree with you..

I think they should look at the young guns.

JasonRox said:
Why should the Abel Prize try to compete with the Fields medal?

There's more than enough room for two prizes in math targeting slightly different groups.

loop quantum gravity said:
*sigh* mathematicians are poor too! They deserve to have a lot more than they do.o:)

JasonRox said:

One is dedicated to young(ish) researchers who produce a 'few' results of exceptional quality, ie they answer something big.

The Abel prize rewards those who have influenced the field of mathematics through a career of distinguished research. JP Serre and Atiyah/Singer got the first two I seem to recall.

It seems quite reasonable to make this distinction.

matt, you can look at mathdaily.com, in order to relook of abel lauretees (i think this is how you write (-: ).

and lisa, it depends, if the mathematician has good social connections with fellow mathematicians then he will get a steady (upper class) income, but if his social skills are poor then so his success. (look at history and see what i mean, or otherwise search at mactutor for a biography for some poor mathematician).

anyway, you need to pick correctly who are your mates & foes.

1. What is the Abel Prize 2006?

The Abel Prize is a prestigious international mathematics prize awarded annually by the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters. It was established in 2002 and is often referred to as the "Nobel Prize of Mathematics". The 2006 Abel Prize was given to mathematician Lennart Carleson for his groundbreaking work in the field of complex analysis.

2. Who was Lennart Carleson?

Lennart Carleson was a Swedish mathematician who was born in 1928. He was a professor at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm and later at the University of Uppsala. He made significant contributions to the field of complex analysis and is best known for his work on the Carleson-Hunt theorem.

3. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex numbers. It is a fundamental area of mathematics that has applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. It involves the study of complex-valued functions, complex differentiation and integration, and complex power series.

4. How is the winner of the Abel Prize chosen?

The winner of the Abel Prize is chosen by an international committee of mathematicians appointed by the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters. The committee considers nominations from mathematicians around the world and selects a winner based on their contributions to the field of mathematics.

5. What is the significance of the Abel Prize?

The Abel Prize is one of the most prestigious awards in mathematics and is often considered equivalent to the Nobel Prize in other fields. It recognizes and celebrates the achievements of outstanding mathematicians and helps to promote the importance of mathematics in society. It also comes with a substantial monetary award of 6 million Norwegian kroner (approximately 750,000 USD).