Comparing Candidate Theories of Quantum Gravity

In summary, this person is looking for an introduction to quantum gravity theories so that he can decide which one to pursue further. He recommends a book called "Introduction to Quantum Effects in Gravitational Fields" which is not about quantum gravity theories themselves, but about Hawking radiation and related effects.
Bertin
Hi, you all,

I have been for a couple of semesters interested in quantum gravity as a problem, but truth is I never have been properly introduced to any of the candidate theories. Actually, there are multiple candidates and I would like to compare them. The question then is the following: do you know of any monograph or small set of articles I can read to get a impression of the main ideas and "philosophy" behind each of the most common theories, in order for me to find the one that pleases me more? Despite how useful it is for other things, I really don't like using Wikipedia in this case.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bertin said:
Is this book "approach independent"? Why do you recommend it?

This is a wonderful book, but it is not about theories of quantum gravity, it is about Hawking radiation and related effects, e.g., in expanding spacetimes. Standard QFT is about quantum fields in the a fixed spacetime that is Minkowski spacetime. This book is about quantum fields in other fixed (non-quantized) spacetimes. In my opinion this book is the best short, pedagogical introduction to Hawking radiation and related effects.

Likes Bertin and malawi_glenn
Likes Bertin
malawi_glenn said:
There are plenty of other useful references in the wiki article.
Ok, thank you very much. I'll look further into the references there, sorry for not having checked better!

Likes berkeman

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity, two pillars of modern physics that have been successful in explaining the behavior of matter on a small and large scale respectively. It aims to provide a unified understanding of the fundamental nature of space, time, and gravity.

2. Why is it important to compare candidate theories of quantum gravity?

Comparing candidate theories of quantum gravity is crucial because there is currently no widely accepted theory that can fully explain the behavior of matter and gravity at a quantum level. By evaluating and comparing different theories, scientists can gain a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of each and potentially come closer to a comprehensive theory of quantum gravity.

3. How do scientists compare candidate theories of quantum gravity?

Scientists use a variety of methods to compare candidate theories of quantum gravity, including mathematical models, experimental data, and theoretical predictions. They also consider factors such as consistency with known physical laws, explanatory power, and simplicity.

4. What are some examples of candidate theories of quantum gravity?

Some examples of candidate theories of quantum gravity include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and causal dynamical triangulation. These theories propose different approaches to reconciling quantum mechanics and general relativity, and each has its own unique set of predictions and challenges.

5. What are the potential implications of finding a successful theory of quantum gravity?

If a successful theory of quantum gravity is found, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe. It could potentially lead to a better understanding of the early universe, the behavior of black holes, and the possibility of time travel. It could also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and space travel.