Dynamics: solve both trajectories

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a dynamics problem involving a cannon shooting at a point with given initial velocity and coordinates. The speaker was struggling to find the two thetas that satisfy the problem and shared their progress so far, including equations for the x and y components and their attempts to eliminate time. They asked if the quadratic equation could be used to solve for Θ and received confirmation from another member. The conversation ended with a reminder to be familiar with trig identities.
600burger
Hey all,

Having trouble solving this one. Class is dynamics. 2D, constant accel.

Shooting a cannon at a point above the initial. Inital velocity is 400m/s

Cannon is at point A (origin) and we're shooting at point B @ (5000m, 1500m)

I'm asked to find the two thetas that satisfy.

So i got this so far, basicly the givens.

In the x:

ax = 0
vx = v0*cos(Θ)
x = v0*cos(Θ)*t

In the y:

ay = -g
vy = v0*sin(Θ)-gt
y = v0*sin(Θ)*t-(1/2)gt2

I tried to eliminate t is the y position equation by

1) solving x for t
2) subing into y(Θ,t) for t to get y(Θ)
3) solving for Θ

I can't get through solving for Θ. Can I use the quadradic equation on y(Θ) to solve for Θ? How do i do that?

Engineering news on Phys.org
600burger said:
... Can I use the quadradic equation on y(Θ) to solve for Θ? How do i do that?

Yes, you should be able to solve the quadratic equation for [tex]\Theta[/tex], after plugging in the values of displacement 5000 m and 1500 m.

Thats what my prof was saying, but I am not sure how that's done? cause it some up to like

-a*sec(Θ)^2 +b*tan(Θ) - c = 0

so does it matter that Θ is in sec^2 for the a and tan for b?

**In the voice of reason**

Learn your trig identities backwards and forwards!

*echo 7th grad algebra teachers voice

**End voice**

sec(Θ)^2 = 1 + tan(Θ)^2

Sub and solve. Still an ugly problem, but I'm gald I figured it out.:-p

FAQ: Dynamics: solve both trajectories

1. What is dynamics?

Dynamics is the study of how objects move and change over time, and the forces that cause these changes.

2. What are trajectories in dynamics?

Trajectories refer to the path that an object takes as it moves through space over time.

3. How do you solve for both trajectories in dynamics?

To solve for both trajectories, you would need to use mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and conservation of momentum.

4. What are some real-life applications of dynamics and solving trajectories?

Dynamics and solving trajectories have many practical applications, such as predicting the motion of objects in space, designing efficient transportation systems, and understanding the movement of particles in chemical reactions.

5. Why is it important to study dynamics and solve for trajectories?

Studying dynamics and solving for trajectories helps us understand the physical world around us and how objects behave in different situations. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and improve our technology and daily lives.