Quantum Mechanics: Normalization Requirements (E>Vmin)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the 1-D Schrodinger Equation in a quantum mechanics course, specifically in regards to the assumption of potential being solely a function of x. The solutions of the equation are shown to produce probability densities that are invariant to time and the textbook claims that if the energy is less than the minimum potential, the wavefunction cannot be normalized. However, the conversation also brings up a counterexample and discusses the unphysical nature of having E be less than the minimum potential energy.
njhajj
I have just begun using the 1-D Schrodinger Equation in my quantum mechanics course. We are assuming the potential, V, is solely a function of x (V(x)). I have been examining the solution to the differential equation through separation of variables. Ψ(x,t) = ψ(x)φ(t)

(Assuming Ψ(x,t) is seperable) I understand the proof to show that the solutions of Ψ(x,t) produce probabilitiy densities that are invariant to time. And that |Ψ(x,t)|^2 = |ψ(x)|^2. I also understand why E must be real.

When the assumption of seperability is made we have:

-(h^2)ψ''(x)/2m +V(x)ψ(x) = Eψ(x) (h is hbar)

Which is equivalent to:

ψ''(x) = 2m(V(x) - E)(ψ(x))/h^2 (1)

My textbook (DJ Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics) claims that if E < Vmin => that Ψ(x,t) cannot be normalized. Because |Ψ(x,t)|^2 = |ψ(x)|^2 I can divert my attention to (1) and ignore φ(t).

Solving the differential equation for:

ψ''(x) = c^2(ψ(x), c is real

Gets me the general solution (I think!):

ψ(x) = Aexp(cx+b) + Bexp(-cx+d) A,B,b,d are constants

If we take a piecewise solution like ψ(x) = exp(-|x|) the integral of |ψ(x)|^2 over the whole real line is finite (and equal to 1, I believe). |ψ(x)|^2 is continuous as well.

The textbook also hints that it has to do with the the fact that the second derivative is always the same sign as the function itself. I can't formulate a proof as to why this should necessarily imply the function cannot be normalized. In fact, to the best of my knowledge I've provided a perfectly valid counterexample...

I've thought about it for an hour or so and I can't figure out why this answer is unacceptable. Can someone please tell me what I have done incorrectly?

I'm also curious about if there is something unphysical about having E<Vmin. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your "general solution" is not, in general, a solution to the correct equation, with a position-dependent V(x) [your c is not a function of x].

Also, as long as |V(x)| is finite, the wavefunction's derivative has to be continuous, too.

So, two reasons for your counter example to be incorrect.

Oh, and of course there is something unphysical about E being less than the minimum potential energy when E=T+V!

1. What is the normalization requirement in quantum mechanics?

The normalization requirement in quantum mechanics is a mathematical condition that states that the integral of the square of the wavefunction over all space must equal 1. This ensures that the probability of finding the particle in any location is 100%.

2. Why is normalization important in quantum mechanics?

Normalization is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific location. It also ensures that the total probability of finding the particle somewhere in the system is equal to 1.

3. How is the normalization requirement related to the energy levels of a system?

The normalization requirement is related to the energy levels of a system because it sets constraints on the allowed values of the energy. This means that the energy levels of a system must satisfy the normalization requirement in order for them to be physically meaningful.

4. What is the significance of the minimum energy (E>Vmin) in the normalization requirement?

The minimum energy (E>Vmin) in the normalization requirement represents the lowest possible energy level of a system. This is important because it sets the lower limit for the energy values that satisfy the normalization requirement.

5. How is the normalization requirement used in solving quantum mechanical problems?

The normalization requirement is used in solving quantum mechanical problems by providing a mathematical condition that must be satisfied in order to find physically meaningful solutions. It allows us to determine the allowed energy levels and wavefunctions for a given system, which can then be used to calculate various properties and behaviors of the system.