SHM w/ complicated restoring force

• Thread starter NeedPhysHelp8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Shm
In summary, the problem involves an atom of mass m bonded to an immobile surface by electromagnetic forces. The force binding the atom to the surface has an expression given by F= exp(a cos z + b sin z) + d tan(z), where a, b, and d are constants and z is upwards. The equilibrium point is defined as z=0 and the system is subject to Earth's gravity. For small oscillations, the approximate expression for the binding force on the atom is F(z)= (b exp(a) + d )z, as determined through Taylor Series expansion with the linear term kept. The calculation was done correctly, but there was an error in the initial calculation of F'.
NeedPhysHelp8
Homework Statement
An atom of mass m is bonded to surface immobile body by electromagnetic forces. The force binding the atom to the surface has the expression:

[tex] F= exp\ (a\cos z + b\sin z) + d\tan(z) [/tex]

where a,b, and d are constants and z is upwards. The equilibrium point is defined to be z=0. The system is subject to Earth's gravity

For small oscillations, give an approximate expression for the binding force on the atom.

The attempt at a solution
Ok so in class we were taught to do the Taylor Series expansion on F(x) and keep the linear term so you can get something that looks like F=-kx . So I got this after doing Taylor Series expansion:

where [tex] F' = (-a\sin z + b\cos z) exp\ (a\cos z + b\sin z) + d\sec^2 (z) [/tex] then evaluate at z=0 then final result is :

[tex] F(z)= (b exp(a) + d )z [/tex]

Since [tex] F(0) [/tex] is always 0 at the equilibrium I took that out of Taylor series and ignored higher order terms.

Now I'm not sure if I'm going about this the right way? Can someone please tell me if I did this right or not? Much appreciated I love this forum!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the right idea, but you seem to have computed F' incorrectly. Take another look at that calculation.

How is F' wrong?? :S please explain I just used the chain rule

It's wrong for the F that was in your post when I wrote mine. But after your edit, everything looks OK.

Thanks

Last edited:

1. What is SHM with a complicated restoring force?

SHM stands for simple harmonic motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. In the case of a complicated restoring force, the restoring force is not directly proportional to the displacement, making the motion more complex.

2. How does a complicated restoring force affect the period of the SHM?

The period of SHM with a complicated restoring force is affected by the shape of the restoring force curve. In general, a steeper curve will result in a shorter period and a flatter curve will result in a longer period.

3. Can SHM with a complicated restoring force be modeled mathematically?

Yes, SHM with a complicated restoring force can be modeled mathematically using differential equations. The specific equation will depend on the shape of the restoring force curve.

4. What are some real-life examples of SHM with a complicated restoring force?

One example is the motion of a pendulum with air resistance. The air resistance creates a complicated restoring force that is dependent on the velocity of the pendulum. Another example is the motion of a mass attached to a spring with varying spring constant along its length.

5. How does the energy of SHM with a complicated restoring force compare to that of simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the total energy is constant and is equal to the sum of the kinetic and potential energy. In SHM with a complicated restoring force, the total energy may vary due to the changing restoring force, but the sum of the kinetic and potential energy is still constant.