Inductance of DC Electromagnet Coil. Help

In summary, the conversation is about finding the inductance of a DC electro magnet coil with known resistance and impedance. The person seeking help is unsure if the 110v power source is alternating or direct current, and if alternating, the frequency is needed. Another person suggests using the formula XL = ωL to calculate the inductance, but the frequency is still needed.
wingsofdesire
I am trying to make a DC electro magnet coil. The Coil is wound up to the core. And works fine. But I'm not being able to find out the inductance of the coil. The Resistance of Coil R20= 490 ohms. Impedence is 523 Ohms. 110v give .21 amps. Please Help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the 110v alternating or direct current? If alternating current, what is its frequency?

modmix said:
what about this:
Given we have just R and L (no C).
They from a triangle: Z^2 = R^2 + L^2.
=> L = sqrt(Z^2 - R^2) = 182 Ohm.

hth
Ulli

That is not correct, you need to know the frequency as has been hinted at. XL = ωL

You say 110volts so I would guess that f = 60Hz (or maybe 50Hz)
The impedance = 110/0.21 = 523Ω. ω Is 2∏60 = 377
So if you do 5232 = 4902 + (ωL)2...see what you get for L.

technician said:
That is not correct, you need to know the frequency as has been hinted at. XL = ωL
sure. that's why i deleted my posting - not fast enough...
L measures in H ,-)

1. What is inductance?

Inductance is a physical property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of a circuit to store energy in the form of a magnetic field.

2. How is inductance measured?

Inductance is measured in units called Henry (H), named after the scientist who discovered it. It is typically measured using an inductance meter or by using the formula L = V/I, where L is inductance, V is voltage, and I is current.

3. What is the relationship between inductance and DC electromagnet coils?

Inductance plays a crucial role in DC electromagnet coils as it determines the strength of the magnetic field produced by the coil. The higher the inductance, the stronger the magnetic field.

4. How does the number of turns in a DC electromagnet coil affect its inductance?

The number of turns in a DC electromagnet coil is directly proportional to its inductance. This means that increasing the number of turns will also increase the inductance, resulting in a stronger magnetic field.

5. What factors can affect the inductance of a DC electromagnet coil?

The inductance of a DC electromagnet coil can be affected by various factors, including the number of turns, the diameter of the coil, the material of the core, and the current passing through the coil. Additionally, the presence of nearby ferromagnetic materials can also affect the inductance.